Intrahepatic cholangiocarcinoma hidden within cancer of unknown primary
Morris, G. C.
Mitchell, Claire L
Backen, Alison C
Hubner, Richard A
McNamara, Mairead G
Valle, Juan W
AffiliationCancer Research UK Manchester Institute Cancer Biomarker Centre, The University of Manchester, Manchester, UK
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractBackground: Many patients referred with a provisional diagnosis of cancer of unknown primary (pCUP) present with presumed metastatic disease to the liver. Due to the lack of definitive histological markers, intrahepatic cholangiocarcinoma (iCCA) may be overlooked. This study assessed the frequency of iCCA within a pCUP cohort. Methods: A single UK cancer-center study of sequential patients referred with pCUP from January 2017 to April 2020. Baseline diagnostic imaging was reviewed independently by a radiologist and oncologist; those with radiological features of iCCA (dominant liver lesion, capsular retraction) were identified. Results: Of 228 patients referred with pCUP, 72 (32%) had malignancy involving the liver. 24/72 patients had radiological features consistent with iCCA; they were predominantly female (75%) with an average age of 63 years and 63% had an ECOG PS ≤ 2. The median overall survival (OS) of the iCCA group and the remaining liver-involved CUP group were similar (OS 4.1 vs 4.4 months, p-value = 0.805). Patients, where a primary diagnosis was subsequently determined, had better OS (10.2 months, p-values: iCCA = 0.0279: cCUP = 0.0230). Conclusions: In this study, 34% of patients with liver-involved pCUP, fulfilled the radiological criteria for an iCCA diagnosis. Consideration of an iCCA diagnosis in patients with CUP could improve timely diagnosis, molecular characterisation and treatment.
CitationConway AM, Morris GC, Smith S, Vekeria M, Manoharan P, Mitchell C, et al. Intrahepatic cholangiocarcinoma hidden within cancer of unknown primary. British Journal of Cancer. Springer Science and Business Media LLC; 2022.
JournalBritish Journal of Cancer
- Temporal Changes in Cholangiocarcinoma Incidence and Mortality in the United States from 2001 to 2017.
- Authors: Javle M, Lee S, Azad NS, Borad MJ, Kate Kelley R, Sivaraman S, Teschemaker A, Chopra I, Janjan N, Parasuraman S, Bekaii-Saab TS
- Issue date: 2022 Oct 1
- Comparison of Clinical Features and Outcomes Between Intrahepatic Cholangiocarcinoma and Hepatocellular Carcinoma in the United States.
- Authors: Lee YT, Wang JJ, Luu M, Noureddin M, Nissen NN, Patel TC, Roberts LR, Singal AG, Gores GJ, Yang JD
- Issue date: 2021 Nov
- Clinical features of sarcomatoid change in patients with intrahepatic cholangiocarcinoma and prognosis after surgical liver resection: A Propensity Score Matching analysis.
- Authors: Wang T, Kong J, Yang X, Shen S, Zhang M, Wang W
- Issue date: 2020 Mar
- Comparison of Hepatic Arterial Infusion Pump Chemotherapy vs Resection for Patients With Multifocal Intrahepatic Cholangiocarcinoma.
- Authors: Franssen S, Soares KC, Jolissaint JS, Tsilimigras DI, Buettner S, Alexandrescu S, Marques H, Lamelas J, Aldrighetti L, Gamblin TC, Maithel SK, Pulitano C, Margonis GA, Weiss MJ, Bauer TW, Shen F, Poultsides GA, Marsh JW, Cercek A, Kemeny N, Kingham TP, D'Angelica M, Pawlik TM, Jarnagin WR, Koerkamp BG
- Issue date: 2022 Jul 1
- Sarcomatoid intrahepatic cholangiocarcinoma in a patient with poor prognosis: a case report and literature review.
- Authors: Li X, Li J, Liu K, Tan L, Liu Y
- Issue date: 2020 Nov