Unique correlation between GTF2I mutation and spindle cell morphology in thymomas (type A and AB thymomas)
AffiliationGenomic Diagnostic Laboratory, Manchester Centre for Genomic Medicine, Manchester, UK
MetadataShow full item record
Abstract"Aim: Recent study has revealed frequent GTF2I mutation in thymomas, with the frequency being highest in types A and AB, followed by B1, B2, B3 and thymic carcinoma. This has led to the conclusion that GTF2I mutation correlates with more indolent histology subtype and better prognosis. In our study, the GTF2I mutation was tested in thymic epithelial tumours to investigate the relation between the mutation status and histology subtype. Methods: The GTF2I mutation was tested in 111 thymic epithelial tumours by Sanger sequencing. Correlations between GTF2I mutation status and clinicopathological parameters were evaluated. Results: There were 16 cases of type A, including atypical type, 37 type AB, 13 B1, 23 B2, 9 B3, 6 micronodular type, 2 metaplastic type and 5 thymic carcinomas. GTF2I mutation was seen in 78.6% of type A and 83.9% of type AB, while it was not expressed in type B, metaplastic type or thymic carcinoma (p<0.001). 75% of micronodular type also showed the mutation. Both thymoma histotype and stage were significantly associated with GTF2I mutation by univariate analysis. The presence of GTF2I mutation showed a trend towards a favourable prognosis, but this is likely due to their strong association with more indolent histologic subtypes (types A and AB). Conclusions: GTF2I mutation appears unique in type A and AB thymomas, including those with atypical features and micronodular type, all of which share spindle cell morphology, indicating they represent a group biologically distinct from type B thymomas."
CitationWells, K, Lamarca, Angela, Papaxoinis, G, Wallace, A, Quinn, A M, Summers, Yvonne J, Nonaka, D. Unique correlation between GTF2I mutation and spindle cell morphology in thymomas (type A and AB thymomas). Journal of Clinical Pathology. 2022 .
JournalJournal of Clinical Pathology
- GTF2I mutation in micronodular thymoma with lymphoid stroma.
- Authors: Bille A, Fryer K, Wallace A, Nonaka D
- Issue date: 2022 Dec 5
- Glut-1 intensity and pattern of expression in thymic epithelial tumors are predictive of WHO subtypes.
- Authors: Thomas de Montpréville V, Quilhot P, Chalabreysse L, De Muret A, Hofman V, Lantuéjoul S, Parrens M, Payan MJ, Rouquette I, Secq V, Girard N, Besse B, Marx A, Molina TJ
- Issue date: 2015 Dec
- D2-40 Antibody is a Specific Marker for B2 Thymomas.
- Authors: Szolkowska M, Langfort R, Winiarski S, Rudzinski P, Giedronowicz D, Szczepulska-Wojcik E, Ronduda P, Maksymiuk B, Orlowski T
- Issue date: 2017 Jul
- GTF2I mutation frequently occurs in more indolent thymic epithelial tumors and predicts better prognosis.
- Authors: Feng Y, Lei Y, Wu X, Huang Y, Rao H, Zhang Y, Wang F
- Issue date: 2017 Aug
- Primary Driver Mutations in GTF2I Specific to the Development of Thymomas.
- Authors: Higuchi R, Goto T, Hirotsu Y, Yokoyama Y, Nakagomi T, Otake S, Amemiya K, Oyama T, Mochizuki H, Omata M
- Issue date: 2020 Jul 24