Tissue-resident FOLR2(+) macrophages associate with CD8(+) T cell infiltration in human breast cancer
AuthorsNalio Ramos, R.
Bromley, C. P.
Núñez, N. G.
Tosello Boari, J.
Niborski, L. L.
Dutertre, C. A.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractMacrophage infiltration is a hallmark of solid cancers, and overall macrophage infiltration correlates with lower patient survival and resistance to therapy. Tumor-associated macrophages, however, are phenotypically and functionally heterogeneous. Specific subsets of tumor-associated macrophage might be endowed with distinct roles on cancer progression and antitumor immunity. Here, we identify a discrete population of FOLR2+ tissue-resident macrophages in healthy mammary gland and breast cancer primary tumors. FOLR2+ macrophages localize in perivascular areas in the tumor stroma, where they interact with CD8+ T cells. FOLR2+ macrophages efficiently prime effector CD8+ T cells ex vivo. The density of FOLR2+ macrophages in tumors positively correlates with better patient survival. This study highlights specific roles for tumor-associated macrophage subsets and paves the way for subset-targeted therapeutic interventions in macrophages-based cancer therapies.
CitationNalio Ramos R, Missolo-Koussou Y, Gerber-Ferder Y, Bromley CP, Bugatti M, Núñez NG, et al. Tissue-resident FOLR2(+) macrophages associate with CD8(+) T cell infiltration in human breast cancer. Cell. 2022;185(7):1189-207.e25.
- A Population of TIM4+FOLR2+ Macrophages Localized in Tertiary Lymphoid Structures Correlates to an Active Immune Infiltrate Across Several Cancer Types.
- Authors: Bugatti M, Bergamini M, Missale F, Monti M, Ardighieri L, Pezzali I, Picinoli S, Caronni N, Missolo-Koussou Y, Helft J, Benvenuti F, Vermi W
- Issue date: 2022 Nov 2
- FOLR2+ Macrophages Are Associated with T-cell Infiltration and Improved Prognosis.
- Issue date: 2022 Jun 2
- Regulation and characterization of tumor-infiltrating immune cells in breast cancer.
- Authors: Dai Q, Wu W, Amei A, Yan X, Lu L, Wang Z
- Issue date: 2021 Jan
- Folate Receptor β (FRβ) Expression in Tissue-Resident and Tumor-Associated Macrophages Associates with and Depends on the Expression of PU.1.
- Authors: Samaniego R, Domínguez-Soto Á, Ratnam M, Matsuyama T, Sánchez-Mateos P, Corbí ÁL, Puig-Kröger A
- Issue date: 2020 Jun 10
- Leukocyte complexity predicts breast cancer survival and functionally regulates response to chemotherapy.
- Authors: DeNardo DG, Brennan DJ, Rexhepaj E, Ruffell B, Shiao SL, Madden SF, Gallagher WM, Wadhwani N, Keil SD, Junaid SA, Rugo HS, Hwang ES, Jirström K, West BL, Coussens LM
- Issue date: 2011 Jun