Klumpen, H. J.
Hubner, Richard A
McNamara, Mairead G
Valle, Juan W
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractPerihilar cholangiocarcinoma (pCCA) is the anatomical sub-group of biliary tract cancer (BTC) arising between the second-order intrahepatic bile ducts and the cystic duct. Together with distal and intrahepatic cholangiocarcinoma (dCCA and iCCA; originating distal to, and proximal to this, respectively), gallbladder cancer (GBC) and ampulla of Vater carcinoma (AVC), these clinicopathologically and molecularly distinct entities comprise biliary tract cancer (BTC). Most pCCAs are unresectable at diagnosis, and for those with resectable disease, surgery is extensive, and recurrence is common. Therefore, the majority of patients with pCCA will require systemic treatment for advanced disease. The prognosis with cytotoxic chemotherapy remains poor, driving interest in therapies targeted to the molecular nature of a given patient’s cancer. In recent years, the search for efficacious targeted therapies has been fuelled both by whole-genome and epigenomic studies, looking to uncover the molecular landscape of CCA, and by specifically testing for aberrations where established therapies exist in other indications. This review aims to provide a focus on the current molecular characterisation of pCCA, targeted therapies applicable to pCCA, and future directions in applying personalised medicine to this difficult-to-treat malignancy.
CitationGray S, Lamarca A, Edeline J, Klumpen HJ, Hubner RA, McNamara MG, et al. Targeted Therapies for Perihilar Cholangiocarcinoma. Cancers. 2022;14(7):19.
- Neoadjuvant therapy for cholangiocarcinoma: A comprehensive literature review.
- Authors: Rizzo A, Brandi G
- Issue date: 2021
- Current options and future directions of systemic therapy for advanced biliary tract cancer.
- Authors: Prete MG, Cammarota A, D'Alessio A, Zanuso V, Rimassa L
- Issue date: 2021
- Systemic treatment of advanced or recurrent biliary tract cancer.
- Authors: Zhang W, Zhou H, Wang Y, Zhang Z, Cao G, Song T, Zhang T, Li Q
- Issue date: 2020 Nov 4
- Future directions in the treatment of cholangiocarcinoma.
- Authors: Zhu AX
- Issue date: 2015 Apr
- Cholangiocarcinoma miscoding in hepatobiliary centres.
- Authors: Selvadurai S, Mann K, Mithra S, Bridgewater J, Malik H, Khan SA
- Issue date: 2021 Mar