Development of a quality of life questionnaire for patients with pancreatic neuroendocrine tumours (the PANNET module)
AuthorsRamage, J. K.
Fernandez Ortega, P.
McNamara, Mairéad G
Weickert, M. O.
AffiliationHampshire Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust, Basingstoke, UK. University of Winchester, Winchester, UK. Instit Catala d'Oncologia, Barcelona, Spain. Division of Cancer Sciences, University of Manchester/The Christie NHS Foundation Trust, Manchester, UK. National and Kapodistrian University of Athens, Athens, Greece. Pancreatic Surgery Unit, Pancreas Translational & Clinical Research Center, IRCCS San Raffaele Scientific Institute, Milan, Italy. Indywidualna Specjalistyczna Praktyka Lekarska, Warsaw, Poland. Vall D'Hebron University Hospital, Vall Hebron Institute of Oncology (VHIO), Barcelona, Spain. Hadassah-Hebrew University Medical Centre, Jerusalem, Israel. Royal Free London NHS Foundation Trust, London, UK. Medical University of Innsbruck, Innsbruck, Austria. Kings Health Partners Neuroendocrine Centre, London, UK. Arden NET Unit, Coventry, UK.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractPancreatic neuroendocrine tumours (panNET) are heterogeneous neoplasms usually characterised by slow growth and secretion of hormones, which often cause symptoms. The effect of these symptoms on quality of life (QoL) has not previously been examined in detail. EORTC (European Organisation for Research and Treatment of Cancer) guidelines were followed in phases 1–3 to produce a potential module of questions usable for trials in panNET, focusing on three common types of panNET. For two less common types, a list of symptoms was constructed. Following an extensive literature search and phase 1a interviews with patients and healthcare workers, a long list of potential issues (169) was obtained. This list was shown to 12 patients from three countries in phase 1b interviews to check that no items were missed. The list was reduced to 57 issues. The list of issues was converted to questions, mainly from existing validated questions within the EORTC item library. The list of questions was then used in a phase 3 international study in eight countries using seven languages. A provisional module of 24 items is presented for use in nonfunctioning panNET, gastrinoma and insulinoma. This module increases knowledge concerning QoL in this condition and may be a useful adjunct in clinical trials. A phase 4 trial is being considered for validation of this questionnaire.
CitationRamage JK, Friend E, Randell J, KING B, Fernandez Ortega P, McNamara MG, et al. Development of a quality of life questionnaire for patients with pancreatic neuroendocrine tumours (the PANNET module) [Internet]. Journal of Neuroendocrinology. Wiley; 2022.
JournalJournal of Neuroendocrinology
- Development of a disease-specific Quality of Life questionnaire module for patients with gastrointestinal neuroendocrine tumours.
- Authors: Davies AH, Larsson G, Ardill J, Friend E, Jones L, Falconi M, Bettini R, Koller M, Sezer O, Fleissner C, Taal B, Blazeby JM, Ramage JK, EORTC Quality of Life Group.
- Issue date: 2006 Mar
- Development of a questionnaire (EORTC module) to measure quality of life in patients with cholangiocarcinoma and gallbladder cancer, the EORTC QLQ-BIL21.
- Authors: Friend E, Yadegarfar G, Byrne C, Johnson CD, Sezer O, Pucciarelli S, Pereira SP, Chie WC, Banfield A, Ramage JK, EORTC Quality of Life Group.
- Issue date: 2011 Feb 15
- Development of a disease specific quality of life (QoL) questionnaire module to supplement the EORTC core cancer QoL questionnaire, the QLQ-C30 in patients with pancreatic cancer. EORTC Study Group on Quality of Life.
- Authors: Fitzsimmons D, Johnson CD, George S, Payne S, Sandberg AA, Bassi C, Beger HG, Birk D, Büchler MW, Dervenis C, Fernandez Cruz L, Friess H, Grahm AL, Jeekel J, Laugier R, Meyer D, Singer MW, Tihanyi T
- Issue date: 1999 Jun
- Development of the European Organisation for Research and Treatment of Cancer quality of life questionnaire module for older people with cancer: The EORTC QLQ-ELD15.
- Authors: Johnson C, Fitzsimmons D, Gilbert J, Arrarras JI, Hammerlid E, Bredart A, Ozmen M, Dilektasli E, Coolbrandt A, Kenis C, Young T, Chow E, Venkitaraman R, Howse F, George S, O'Connor S, Yadegarfar G, EORTC Quality of Life Group.
- Issue date: 2010 Aug
- An international update of the EORTC questionnaire for assessing quality of life in breast cancer patients: EORTC QLQ-BR45.
- Authors: Bjelic-Radisic V, Cardoso F, Cameron D, Brain E, Kuljanic K, da Costa RA, Conroy T, Inwald EC, Serpentini S, Pinto M, Weis J, Morag O, Lindviksmoen Astrup G, Tomaszweksi KA, Pogoda K, Sinai P, Sprangers M, Aaronson N, Velikova G, Greimel E, Arraras J, Bottomley A, EORTC Quality of Life Group and Breast Cancer Group.
- Issue date: 2020 Feb