A Multicentre Retrospective Study of Fulvestrant Use and Efficacy in Advanced/Metastatic Breast Cancer
Board, R. E.
Guppy, A. E.
Jayaweera, H. K.
AffiliationNorth Middlesex University Hospital NHS Trust, London, UK. Electronic address: Anna.firstname.lastname@example.org. North Middlesex University Hospital NHS Trust, London, UK. The Royal Marsden NHS Foundation Trust, London, UK. Lancashire Teaching NHS Foundation Trust, Royal Preston Hospital, Preston, UK. University College London Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust, London, UK. University College London Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust, London, UK; NIHR University College London Hospitals Biomedical Research Centre, London, UK. Royal Free London NHS Foundation Trust, London, UK. Charing Cross Hospital NHS Trust, London, UK. Hillingdon Hospital NHS Trust, Uxbridge, UK. The Christie NHS Foundation Trust, UK. Whittington Health NHS Trust, London, UK. University of Western Australia, Perth, Australia.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractAims Fulvestrant is a selective oestrogen receptor (ER) degrader used in postmenopausal women with hormone receptor-positive advanced breast cancer. The study aim was to analyse demographics and outcomes of UK patients treated with fulvestrant monotherapy at nine representative centres. Materials and methods Medical records of 459 patients with locally advanced or metastatic ER-positive, HER2-negative breast cancer treated with fulvestrant between August 2011 and November 2018 at nine UK centres were reviewed. Data were collated on demographics, progression-free survival, overall survival and disease response at first radiological assessment following fulvestrant initiation. Patients still alive by December 2018 were censored. Results Data from 429 of the 459 patients identified were eligible for inclusion in the analysis. The median age was 69 (range 21–95) and 64% (n = 275) had Eastern Cooperative Oncology Group performance status 0–1. Bone was the most commonly involved metastatic site (72%, n = 306). However, 295 (69%) patients had visceral involvement. Patients had received a median 2 (range 0–5) prior lines of endocrine therapy and median 0 (range 0–6) prior chemotherapies. Fulvestrant was first-line therapy in 43 patients (10%). The median duration of treatment was 5 months (range 1–88). The median progression-free survival was 5.5 months. In 51% of 350 patients radiologically assessed, there was evidence of disease response to fulvestrant. Fifteen per cent of these had a complete/partial response. Fulvestrant was discontinued predominantly due to disease progression, with 3% discontinued solely due to adverse events. The median overall survival for the whole cohort was 22.5 months (range 0–88). Conclusions This is one of the largest studied cohorts of breast cancer patients treated with fulvestrant. This heavily endocrine-pretreated population reflects real-life use in the UK. Within this context, our retrospective data show that patients can experience maintained disease response when treated with fulvestrant, supporting the importance of equitable availability for all UK patients.
CitationLerner A, Keshwani K, Okines A, Sanderson B, Board RE, Flynn M, et al. A Multicentre Retrospective Study of Fulvestrant Use and Efficacy in Advanced/Metastatic Breast Cancer. Clinical Oncology. Elsevier BV; 2022.
JournalClin Oncol (R Coll Radiol)
- Buparlisib plus fulvestrant versus placebo plus fulvestrant in postmenopausal, hormone receptor-positive, HER2-negative, advanced breast cancer (BELLE-2): a randomised, double-blind, placebo-controlled, phase 3 trial.
- Authors: Baselga J, Im SA, Iwata H, Cortés J, De Laurentiis M, Jiang Z, Arteaga CL, Jonat W, Clemons M, Ito Y, Awada A, Chia S, Jagiełło-Gruszfeld A, Pistilli B, Tseng LM, Hurvitz S, Masuda N, Takahashi M, Vuylsteke P, Hachemi S, Dharan B, Di Tomaso E, Urban P, Massacesi C, Campone M
- Issue date: 2017 Jul
- Abemaciclib plus trastuzumab with or without fulvestrant versus trastuzumab plus standard-of-care chemotherapy in women with hormone receptor-positive, HER2-positive advanced breast cancer (monarcHER): a randomised, open-label, phase 2 trial.
- Authors: Tolaney SM, Wardley AM, Zambelli S, Hilton JF, Troso-Sandoval TA, Ricci F, Im SA, Kim SB, Johnston SR, Chan A, Goel S, Catron K, Chapman SC, Price GL, Yang Z, Gainford MC, André F
- Issue date: 2020 Jun
- CDK4/6 inhibitor treatment for patients with hormone receptor-positive, HER2-negative, advanced or metastatic breast cancer: a US Food and Drug Administration pooled analysis.
- Authors: Gao JJ, Cheng J, Bloomquist E, Sanchez J, Wedam SB, Singh H, Amiri-Kordestani L, Ibrahim A, Sridhara R, Goldberg KB, Theoret MR, Kluetz PG, Blumenthal GM, Pazdur R, Beaver JA, Prowell TM
- Issue date: 2020 Feb
- Optimal duration of prior endocrine therapy predicts the efficacy of Fulvestrant in a real-world study for patients with hormone receptor-positive and HER2-negative advanced breast cancer.
- Authors: Zhao Y, Li Y, Gong C, Xie Y, Zhang J, Wang L, Cao J, Tao Z, Wang B, Hu X
- Issue date: 2020 Dec
- Overall survival in patients with hormone receptor-positive, HER2-negative, advanced or metastatic breast cancer treated with a cyclin-dependent kinase 4/6 inhibitor plus fulvestrant: a US Food and Drug Administration pooled analysis.
- Authors: Gao JJ, Cheng J, Prowell TM, Bloomquist E, Tang S, Wedam SB, Royce M, Krol D, Osgood C, Ison G, Sridhara R, Pazdur R, Beaver JA, Amiri-Kordestani L
- Issue date: 2021 Nov