EVI1 protein interaction dynamics: targetable for therapeutic intervention?
AffiliationStem Cell and Leukaemia Proteomics Laboratory, Division of Cancer Sciences, Faculty of Biology, Medicine and Health, University of Manchester, Manchester, UK
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractHigh expression of the transcriptional regulator EVI1 encoded at the MECOM locus at 3q26 is one of the most aggressive oncogenic drivers in acute myeloid leukemia (AML) and carries a very poor prognosis. How EVI1 confers leukemic transformation and chemotherapy resistance in AML is subject to important ongoing clinical and experimental studies. Recent discoveries have revealed critical details on genetic mechanisms of the activation of EVI1 overexpression and downstream events of aberrantly high EVI1 expression. Here we review and discuss aspects concerning the protein interactions of EVI1 and the related proteins MDS-EVI1 and ΔEVI1 from the perspective of their potential for therapeutic intervention.
CitationParedes R, Doleschall N, Connors K, Geary B, Meyer S. EVI1 protein interaction dynamics: targetable for therapeutic intervention? Exp Hematol. 2021.
- Atypical 3q26/MECOM rearrangements genocopy inv(3)/t(3;3) in acute myeloid leukemia.
- Authors: Ottema S, Mulet-Lazaro R, Beverloo HB, Erpelinck C, van Herk S, van der Helm R, Havermans M, Grob T, Valk PJM, Bindels E, Haferlach T, Haferlach C, Smeenk L, Delwel R
- Issue date: 2020 Jul 9
- EVI1 oncoprotein expression and CtBP1-association oscillate through the cell cycle.
- Authors: Paredes R, Schneider M, Pearson S, Teng HY, Kelly JR, Pierce A, Somervaille TCP, Whetton AD, Meyer S
- Issue date: 2020 Oct
- The leukemia-associated gene MDS1/EVI1 is a new type of GATA-binding transactivator.
- Authors: Soderholm J, Kobayashi H, Mathieu C, Rowley JD, Nucifora G
- Issue date: 1997 Mar
- Expression and prognostic significance of different mRNA 5'-end variants of the oncogene EVI1 in 266 patients with de novo AML: EVI1 and MDS1/EVI1 overexpression both predict short remission duration.
- Authors: Haas K, Kundi M, Sperr WR, Esterbauer H, Ludwig WD, Ratei R, Koller E, Gruener H, Sauerland C, Fonatsch C, Valent P, Wieser R
- Issue date: 2008 Apr
- The MDS and EVI1 complex locus (MECOM) isoforms regulate their own transcription and have different roles in the transformation of hematopoietic stem and progenitor cells.
- Authors: Maicas M, Vázquez I, Alis R, Marcotegui N, Urquiza L, Cortés-Lavaud X, Cristóbal I, García-Sánchez MA, Odero MD
- Issue date: 2017 Jun