Evaluation of Prognostic and Predictive Models in the Oncology Clinic
AffiliationUniversity of Manchester, Radiotherapy Related Research Group, Division of Cancer Sciences, School of Medical Sciences, Manchester, UK
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractPredictive and prognostic models hold great potential to support clinical decision making in oncology and could ultimately facilitate a paradigm shift to a more personalised form of treatment. While a large number of models relevant to the field of oncology have been developed, few have been translated into clinical use and assessment of clinical utility is not currently considered a routine part of model development. In this narrative review of the clinical evaluation of prediction models in oncology, we propose a high-level process diagram for the life cycle of a clinical model, encompassing model commissioning, clinical implementation and ongoing quality assurance, which aims to bridge the gap between model development and clinical implementation.
CitationCraddock M, Crockett C, McWilliam A, Price G, Sperrin M, van der Veer SN, et al. Evaluation of Prognostic and Predictive Models in the Oncology Clinic. Clin Oncol (R Coll Radiol). 2021.
JournalClin Oncol (R Coll Radiol)
- Teamwork in prognostic communication: Addressing bottlenecks and barriers.
- Authors: Sisk BA, Dobrozsi S, Mack JW
- Issue date: 2020 May
- Recommended guidelines for the conduct and evaluation of prognostic studies in veterinary oncology.
- Authors: Webster JD, Dennis MM, Dervisis N, Heller J, Bacon NJ, Bergman PJ, Bienzle D, Cassali G, Castagnaro M, Cullen J, Esplin DG, Peña L, Goldschmidt MH, Hahn KA, Henry CJ, Hellmén E, Kamstock D, Kirpensteijn J, Kitchell BE, Amorim RL, Lenz SD, Lipscomb TP, McEntee M, McGill LD, McKnight CA, McManus PM, Moore AS, Moore PF, Moroff SD, Nakayama H, Northrup NC, Sarli G, Scase T, Sorenmo K, Schulman FY, Shoieb AM, Smedley RC, Spangler WL, Teske E, Thamm DH, Valli VE, Vernau W, von Euler H, Withrow SJ, Weisbrode SE, Yager J, Kiupel M, American College of Veterinary Pathologists' Oncology Committee.
- Issue date: 2011 Jan
- Workflow-driven clinical decision support for personalized oncology.
- Authors: Bucur A, van Leeuwen J, Christodoulou N, Sigdel K, Argyri K, Koumakis L, Graf N, Stamatakos G
- Issue date: 2016 Jul 21
- Decision support systems for personalized and participative radiation oncology.
- Authors: Lambin P, Zindler J, Vanneste BG, De Voorde LV, Eekers D, Compter I, Panth KM, Peerlings J, Larue RT, Deist TM, Jochems A, Lustberg T, van Soest J, de Jong EE, Even AJ, Reymen B, Rekers N, van Gisbergen M, Roelofs E, Carvalho S, Leijenaar RT, Zegers CM, Jacobs M, van Timmeren J, Brouwers P, Lal JA, Dubois L, Yaromina A, Van Limbergen EJ, Berbee M, van Elmpt W, Oberije C, Ramaekers B, Dekker A, Boersma LJ, Hoebers F, Smits KM, Berlanga AJ, Walsh S
- Issue date: 2017 Jan 15
- Artificial Intelligence and Mechanistic Modeling for Clinical Decision Making in Oncology.
- Authors: Benzekry S
- Issue date: 2020 Sep