Early clinical experience with cabozantinib for advanced renal cell carcinoma in the UK: real-world treatment pathways and clinical outcomes
AffiliationBeatson West of Scotland Cancer Centre, NHS Greater Glasgow and Clyde, UK
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractBackground: Cabozantinib monotherapy is approved in the UK for patients with treatment-naïve intermediate- or poor-risk advanced renal cell carcinoma (aRCC), or patients who received prior vascular endothelial growth factor-targeted therapy. Data are limited on the real-world use of cabozantinib for aRCC. Patients and methods: CERES (NCT03696407) was a retrospective study of patients with aRCC who received cabozantinib through the UK managed access programme (MAP; August 2016-July 2017), at which time cabozantinib had European regulatory approval for second- or later-line use only. The study objectives were to characterize aRCC treatment patterns and evaluate cabozantinib effectiveness. Outcomes were stratified by cabozantinib treatment line, MAP treatment date (months 0-7 vs. 8-12) and (post hoc) Charlson Comorbidity Index (CCI; ≥ 6 vs. < 6). Results: Of 100 patients included, 99% had stage IV disease, 63% had a CCI ≥ 6 and 81% had an Eastern Cooperative Oncology Group Performance Status 0-1. Median (range) duration of follow-up was 10.8 (0.4-33.5) months. Cabozantinib was administered as second-line, third-line and fourth- or later-line in 41%, 31% and 28% of patients, respectively. Most patients (84%) initiated cabozantinib at 60 mg. Average (range) cabozantinib dose was 45.5 (19.6-59.8) mg/day; 66% of patients had ≥ 1 dose reduction. Disease progression was the most common reason for discontinuation (65.1%). Median (95% confidence interval) progression-free survival (PFS) and overall survival (OS) were 6.01 (5.16-7.85) and 10.84 (7.92-16.85) months, respectively. Overall response rate was 34.5%; disease control rate 70.1% and duration of response 6.9 (1.8-26.9) months. No significant differences in survival estimates were observed between treatment line or treatment date subgroups. Total CCI score ≤ 6 (vs. > 6) was associated with prolonged median PFS and OS. Conclusion: Cabozantinib demonstrated clinical activity in this UK real-world aRCC population. The results provide a benchmark for future real-world studies in aRCC.
CitationVenugopal B, Pillai M, Powles T, Savage P, Michael A, Fife K, et al. Early Clinical Experience with Cabozantinib for Advanced Renal Cell Carcinoma in the UK: Real-World Treatment Pathways and Clinical Outcomes Clinical Genitourinary Cancer. Elsevier BV; 2021.
JournalClinical Genitourinary Cancer
- Cabozantinib real-world effectiveness in the first-through fourth-line settings for the treatment of metastatic renal cell carcinoma: Results from the International Metastatic Renal Cell Carcinoma Database Consortium.
- Authors: Gan CL, Dudani S, Wells JC, Donskov F, Pal SK, Dizman N, Rathi N, Beuselinck B, Yan F, Lalani AA, Hansen A, Szabados B, de Velasco G, Tran B, Lee JL, Vaishampayan UN, Bjarnason GA, Subasri M, Choueiri TK, Heng DYC
- Issue date: 2021 Feb
- Real-world treatment sequencing and survival in previously treated advanced renal cell carcinoma patients receiving nivolumab monotherapy: a UK retrospective cohort study.
- Authors: Waddell T, Fife K, Griffiths R, Sharma A, Dhokia P, Groves L, Hurst M, Tsang C, Sugrue D, McKenna S, Houghton J, Carroll R
- Issue date: 2022 Jun 6
- Real-world evidence of cabozantinib in patients with metastatic renal cell carcinoma: Results from the CABOREAL Early Access Program.
- Authors: Albiges L, Fléchon A, Chevreau C, Topart D, Gravis G, Oudard S, Tourani JM, Geoffrois L, Meriaux E, Thiery-Vuillemin A, Barthélémy P, Ladoire S, Laguerre B, Perrot V, Billard A, Escudier B, Gross-Goupil M
- Issue date: 2021 Jan
- Cabozantinib in the treatment of metastatic renal cell carcinoma - final data analysis from four oncology centers in the Czech Republic.
- Authors: Richter I, Poprach A, Zemánková A, Büchler T, Bartoš J, Šámal V, Študentová H, Rozsypalová A, Dvořák J, Brom O, Melichar B
- Issue date: 2021 Fall
- Quality-adjusted survival with first-line cabozantinib or sunitinib for advanced renal cell carcinoma in the CABOSUN randomized clinical trial (Alliance).
- Authors: Chen RC, Choueiri TK, Feuilly M, Meng J, Lister J, Marteau F, Falchook AD, Morris MJ, George DJ, Feldman DR
- Issue date: 2020 Dec 15