Soluble guanylate cyclase signalling mediates etoposide resistance in progressing small cell lung cancer
AuthorsSchenk, Maximilian W.
Hossain, AS Md Mukarram
Pearce, Simon P
Blackhall, Fiona H
Frese, Kristopher K.
AffiliationCancer Research UK Manchester Institute Cancer Biomarker Centre, University of Manchester, Alderley Park, Macclesfield, SK10 4TG,
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractSmall cell lung cancer (SCLC) has a 5-year survival rate of <7%. Rapid emergence of acquired resistance to standard platinum-etoposide chemotherapy is common and improved therapies are required for this recalcitrant tumour. We exploit six paired pre-treatment and post-chemotherapy circulating tumour cell patient-derived explant (CDX) models from donors with extensive stage SCLC to investigate changes at disease progression after chemotherapy. Soluble guanylate cyclase (sGC) is recurrently upregulated in post-chemotherapy progression CDX models, which correlates with acquired chemoresistance. Expression and activation of sGC is regulated by Notch and nitric oxide (NO) signalling with downstream activation of protein kinase G. Genetic targeting of sGC or pharmacological inhibition of NO synthase re-sensitizes a chemoresistant CDX progression model in vivo, revealing this pathway as a mediator of chemoresistance and potential vulnerability of relapsed SCLC.
CitationSchenk MW, Humphrey S, Hossain ASMM, Revill M, Pearsall S, Lallo A, et al. Soluble guanylate cyclase signalling mediates etoposide resistance in progressing small cell lung cancer Vol. 12, Nature Communications. Springer Science and Business Media LLC; 2021.
- Targeting NOTCH activation in small cell lung cancer through LSD1 inhibition.
- Authors: Augert A, Eastwood E, Ibrahim AH, Wu N, Grunblatt E, Basom R, Liggitt D, Eaton KD, Martins R, Poirier JT, Rudin CM, Milletti F, Cheng WY, Mack F, MacPherson D
- Issue date: 2019 Feb 5
- Notch activation augments nitric oxide/soluble guanylyl cyclase signaling in immortalized ovarian surface epithelial cells and ovarian cancer cells.
- Authors: El-Sehemy A, Chang AC, Azad AK, Gupta N, Xu Z, Steed H, Karsan A, Fu Y
- Issue date: 2013 Dec
- [Establishment of A Patient-derived Xenotransplantation Animal Model for Small Cell Lung Cancer and Drug Resistance Model].
- Authors: Zhu Y, Huang W, Wu Y, Jia L, Li Y, Chen R, Guo L, Chen Q
- Issue date: 2019 Jan 20
- Intratumoural heterogeneity generated by Notch signalling promotes small-cell lung cancer.
- Authors: Lim JS, Ibaseta A, Fischer MM, Cancilla B, O'Young G, Cristea S, Luca VC, Yang D, Jahchan NS, Hamard C, Antoine M, Wislez M, Kong C, Cain J, Liu YW, Kapoun AM, Garcia KC, Hoey T, Murriel CL, Sage J
- Issue date: 2017 May 18
- A novel mutation panel for predicting etoposide resistance in small-cell lung cancer.
- Authors: Qiu Z, Lin A, Li K, Lin W, Wang Q, Wei T, Zhu W, Luo P, Zhang J
- Issue date: 2019