A prostate cancer proteomics database for SWATH-MS based protein quantification
AffiliationManchester Cancer Research Centre, Division of Cancer Sciences, Faculty of Biology, School of Medical Sciences, Medicine and Health, University of Manchester, Wilmslow Road, Manchester M20 4GJ, UK
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractProstate cancer is the most frequent form of cancer in men, accounting for more than one-third of all cases. Current screening techniques, such as PSA testing used in conjunction with routine procedures, lead to unnecessary biopsies and the discovery of low-risk tumours, resulting in overdiagnosis. SWATH-MS is a well-established data-independent (DI) method requiring prior knowledge of targeted peptides to obtain valuable information from SWATH maps. In response to the growing need to identify and characterise protein biomarkers for prostate cancer, this study explored a spectrum source for targeted proteome analysis of blood samples. We created a comprehensive prostate cancer serum spectral library by combining data-dependent acquisition (DDA) MS raw files from 504 patients with low, intermediate, or high-grade prostate cancer and healthy controls, as well as 304 prostate cancer-related protein in silico assays. The spectral library contains 114,684 transitions, which equates to 18,479 peptides translated into 1227 proteins. The robustness and accuracy of the spectral library were assessed to boost confidence in the identification and quantification of prostate cancer-related proteins across an independent cohort, resulting in the identification of 404 proteins. This unique database can facilitate researchers to investigate prostate cancer protein biomarkers in blood samples. In the real-world use of the spectrum library for biomarker detection, using a signature of 17 proteins, a clear distinction between the validation cohort's pre- and post-treatment groups was observed. Data are available via ProteomeXchange with identifier PXD028651.
CitationMuazzam A, Chiasserini D, Kelsall J, Geifman N, Whetton AD, Townsend PA. A Prostate Cancer Proteomics Database for SWATH-MS Based Protein Quantification [Internet]. Vol. 13, Cancers. MDPI AG; 2021. p. 5580.
- Use of a Recombinant Biomarker Protein DDA Library Increases DIA Coverage of Low Abundance Plasma Proteins.
- Authors: Ahn SB, Kamath KS, Mohamedali A, Noor Z, Wu JX, Pascovici D, Adhikari S, Cheruku HR, Guillemin GJ, McKay MJ, Nice EC, Baker MS
- Issue date: 2021 May 7
- Comprehensive Library Generation for Identification and Quantification of Endometrial Cancer Protein Biomarkers in Cervico-Vaginal Fluid.
- Authors: Njoku K, Chiasserini D, Geary B, Pierce A, Jones ER, Whetton AD, Crosbie EJ
- Issue date: 2021 Jul 28
- A comprehensive CHO SWATH-MS spectral library for robust quantitative profiling of 10,000 proteins.
- Authors: Sim KH, Liu LC, Tan HT, Tan K, Ng D, Zhang W, Yang Y, Tate S, Bi X
- Issue date: 2020 Aug 11
- A new SWATH ion library for mouse adult hippocampal neural stem cells.
- Authors: Braccia C, Espinal MP, Pini M, De Pietri Tonelli D, Armirotti A
- Issue date: 2018 Jun
- Comparison of fractionation proteomics for local SWATH library building.
- Authors: Govaert E, Van Steendam K, Willems S, Vossaert L, Dhaenens M, Deforce D
- Issue date: 2017 Aug