Mutational characterization of cutaneous melanoma supports divergent pathways model for melanoma development
López-Guerrero, J. A.
AffiliationSchool of Medicine, Universidad Católica de València San Vicente Mártir, 46001 Valencia, Spain
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractAccording to the divergent pathway model, cutaneous melanoma comprises a nevogenic group with a propensity to melanocyte proliferation and another one associated with cumulative solar damage (CSD). While characterized clinically and epidemiologically, the differences in the molecular profiles between the groups have remained primarily uninvestigated. This study has used a custom gene panel and bioinformatics tools to investigate the potential molecular differences in a thoroughly characterized cohort of 119 melanoma patients belonging to nevogenic and CSD groups. We found that the nevogenic melanomas had a restricted set of mutations, with the prominently mutated gene being BRAF. The CSD melanomas, in contrast, showed mutations in a diverse group of genes that included NF1, ROS1, GNA11, and RAC1. We thus provide evidence that nevogenic and CSD melanomas constitute different biological entities and highlight the need to explore new targeted therapies.
CitationMillán-Esteban D, Peña-Chilet M, García-Casado Z, Manrique-Silva E, Requena C, Bañuls J, et al. Mutational Characterization of Cutaneous Melanoma Supports Divergent Pathways Model for Melanoma Development [Internet]. Vol. 13, Cancers. MDPI AG; 2021. p. 5219.
- Tumor genetic heterogeneity analysis of chronic sun-damaged melanoma.
- Authors: Sanna A, Harbst K, Johansson I, Christensen G, Lauss M, Mitra S, Rosengren F, Häkkinen J, Vallon-Christersson J, Olsson H, Ingvar Å, Isaksson K, Ingvar C, Nielsen K, Jönsson G
- Issue date: 2020 May
- Histopathologic classification and prognostic factors of melanoma: a 2021 update.
- Authors: Bobos M
- Issue date: 2021 Jun
- GNAQ and GNA11 mutant nonuveal melanoma: a subtype distinct from both cutaneous and uveal melanoma.
- Authors: Livingstone E, Zaremba A, Horn S, Ugurel S, Casalini B, Schlaak M, Hassel JC, Herbst R, Utikal JS, Weide B, Gutzmer R, Meier F, Koelsche C, Hadaschik E, Sucker A, Reis H, Merkelbach-Bruse S, Siewert M, Sahm F, von Deimling A, Cosgarea I, Zimmer L, Schadendorf D, Schilling B, Griewank KG
- Issue date: 2020 Nov
- Melanoma with in-frame deletion of MAP2K1: a distinct molecular subtype of cutaneous melanoma mutually exclusive from BRAF, NRAS, and NF1 mutations.
- Authors: Williams EA, Montesion M, Shah N, Sharaf R, Pavlick DC, Sokol ES, Alexander B, Venstrom J, Elvin JA, Ross JS, Williams KJ, Tse JY, Mochel MC
- Issue date: 2020 Dec
- Targeted next generation sequencing reveals unique mutation profile of primary melanocytic tumors of the central nervous system.
- Authors: van de Nes J, Gessi M, Sucker A, Möller I, Stiller M, Horn S, Scholz SL, Pischler C, Stadtler N, Schilling B, Zimmer L, Hillen U, Scolyer RA, Buckland ME, Lauriola L, Pietsch T, Waha A, Schadendorf D, Murali R, Griewank KG
- Issue date: 2016 May