Experimental challenges to modeling prostate cancer heterogeneity
AffiliationProstate Oncobiology Group, Cancer Research UK Manchester Institute, The University of Manchester, Alderley Park, Alderley Edge, Macclesfield, SK10 4TG
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractTumor heterogeneity plays a key role in prostate cancer prognosis, therapy selection, relapse, and acquisition of treatment resistance. Prostate cancer presents a heterogeneous diversity at inter- and intra-tumor and inter-patient levels which are influenced by multiple intrinsic and/or extrinsic factors. Recent studies have started to characterize the complexity of prostate tumors and these different tiers of heterogeneity. In this review, we discuss the most common factors that contribute to tumoral diversity. Moreover, we focus on the description of the in vitro and in vivo approaches, as well as high-throughput technologies, that help to model intra-tumoral diversity. Further understanding tumor heterogeneities and the challenges they present will guide enhanced patient risk stratification, aid the design of more precise therapies, and ultimately help beat this chameleon-like disease.
CitationFlores-Téllez T del NJ, Baena E. Experimental challenges to modeling prostate cancer heterogeneity [Internet]. Vol. 524, Cancer Letters. Elsevier BV; 2022. p. 194–205.
- Genomic and phenotypic heterogeneity in prostate cancer.
- Authors: Haffner MC, Zwart W, Roudier MP, True LD, Nelson WG, Epstein JI, De Marzo AM, Nelson PS, Yegnasubramanian S
- Issue date: 2021 Feb
- Nanoways to overcome docetaxel resistance in prostate cancer.
- Authors: Ganju A, Yallapu MM, Khan S, Behrman SW, Chauhan SC, Jaggi M
- Issue date: 2014 Apr
- Spatial Intratumor Genomic Heterogeneity within Localized Prostate Cancer Revealed by Single-nucleus Sequencing.
- Authors: Su F, Zhang W, Zhang D, Zhang Y, Pang C, Huang Y, Wang M, Cui L, He L, Zhang J, Zou L, Zhang J, Li W, Li L, Shao J, Ma J, Xiao F, Liu M
- Issue date: 2018 Nov
- Intratumor Heterogeneity: The Rosetta Stone of Therapy Resistance.
- Authors: Marusyk A, Janiszewska M, Polyak K
- Issue date: 2020 Apr 13
- Heterogeneity in the inter-tumor transcriptome of high risk prostate cancer.
- Authors: Wyatt AW, Mo F, Wang K, McConeghy B, Brahmbhatt S, Jong L, Mitchell DM, Johnston RL, Haegert A, Li E, Liew J, Yeung J, Shrestha R, Lapuk AV, McPherson A, Shukin R, Bell RH, Anderson S, Bishop J, Hurtado-Coll A, Xiao H, Chinnaiyan AM, Mehra R, Lin D, Wang Y, Fazli L, Gleave ME, Volik SV, Collins CC
- Issue date: 2014 Aug 26