VinCaP: a phase II trial of vinflunine in locally advanced and metastatic squamous carcinoma of the penis
Burnett, S. M.
Mitra, A. V.
Thomson, A. H.
Pickering, L. M.
AffiliationMid & South Essex NHS Foundation Trust, Essex, UK
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractBackground: We investigated the first-line activity of vinflunine in patients with penis cancer. Cisplatin-based combinations are commonly used, but survival is not prolonged; many patients are unfit for such treatment or experience toxicity that outweighs clinical benefit. Methods: Twenty-five patients with inoperable squamous carcinoma of the penis were recruited to a single-arm, Fleming-A'Hern exact phase II trial. Treatment comprised 4 cycles of vinflunine 320 mg/m2, given every 21 days. Primary endpoint was clinical benefit rate (CBR: objective responses plus stable disease) assessed after 4 cycles. Seven or more objective responses or disease stabilisations observed in 22 evaluable participants would exclude a CBR of <15%, with a true CBR of >40% being probable. Results: Twenty-two participants were evaluable. Ten objective responses or disease stabilisations were confirmed. CBR was 45.5%, meeting the primary endpoint; partial response rate was 27.3%. Seven patients received >4 cycles of vinflunine. Dose reduction or treatment delay was required for 20% of cycles. In all, 68% of patients experienced at least one grade 3 adverse event. Two deaths on treatment were not caused by disease progression. Conclusions: Pre-specified clinical activity threshold was exceeded. Toxicity was in keeping with experience in other tumours. Vinflunine merits further study in this disease.
CitationNicholson S, Tovey H, Elliott T, Burnett SM, Cruickshank C, Bahl A, et al. VinCaP: a phase II trial of vinflunine in locally advanced and metastatic squamous carcinoma of the penis [Internet]. British Journal of Cancer. Springer Science and Business Media LLC; 2021.
JournalBritish Journal of Cancer
- Phase II trial of docetaxel, cisplatin and 5FU chemotherapy in locally advanced and metastatic penis cancer (CRUK/09/001).
- Authors: Nicholson S, Hall E, Harland SJ, Chester JD, Pickering L, Barber J, Elliott T, Thomson A, Burnett S, Cruickshank C, Carrington B, Waters R, Bahl A
- Issue date: 2013 Nov 12
- Maintenance therapy with vinflunine plus best supportive care versus best supportive care alone in patients with advanced urothelial carcinoma with a response after first-line chemotherapy (MAJA; SOGUG 2011/02): a multicentre, randomised, controlled, open-label, phase 2 trial.
- Authors: García-Donas J, Font A, Pérez-Valderrama B, Virizuela JA, Climent MÁ, Hernando-Polo S, Arranz JÁ, Del Mar Llorente M, Lainez N, Villa-Guzmán JC, Mellado B, González Del Alba A, Castellano D, Gallardo E, Anido U, García Del Muro X, Domènech M, Puente J, Morales-Barrera R, Pérez-Gracia JL, Bellmunt J
- Issue date: 2017 May
- Docetaxel, cisplatin, and fluorouracil chemotherapy for metastatic or unresectable locally recurrent anal squamous cell carcinoma (Epitopes-HPV02): a multicentre, single-arm, phase 2 study.
- Authors: Kim S, François E, André T, Samalin E, Jary M, El Hajbi F, Baba-Hamed N, Pernot S, Kaminsky MC, Bouché O, Desrame J, Zoubir M, Ghiringhelli F, Parzy A, De La Fouchardiere C, Smith D, Deberne M, Spehner L, Badet N, Adotevi O, Anota A, Meurisse A, Vernerey D, Taieb J, Vendrely V, Buecher B, Borg C
- Issue date: 2018 Aug
- Vinflunine-gemcitabine versus vinflunine-carboplatin as first-line chemotherapy in cisplatin-unfit patients with advanced urothelial carcinoma: results of an international randomized phase II trial (JASINT1).
- Authors: De Santis M, Wiechno PJ, Bellmunt J, Lucas C, Su WC, Albiges L, Lin CC, Senkus-Konefka E, Flechon A, Mourey L, Necchi A, Loidl WC, Retz MM, Vaissière N, Culine S
- Issue date: 2016 Mar
- Safety and Activity of Sorafenib in Addition to Vinflunine in Post-Platinum Metastatic Urothelial Carcinoma (Vinsor): Phase I Trial.
- Authors: Shah CH, Pappot H, Agerbæk M, Holmsten K, Jäderling F, Yachnin J, Grybäck P, von der Maase H, Ullén A
- Issue date: 2019 Jun