PD-L1 testing and immunotherapy selection - early laboratory experience and its potential role in head and neck cancer management
AffiliationDepartment of Histopathology and Molecular Pathology, St James's University Hospital, Leeds, UK
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractAnti-programmed cell death protein-1 (PD-1) therapy has been relatively recently approved in a defined context by NICE in adults in the management of recurrent and metastatic head and neck squamous cell carcinomas (HNSCC). In this context, companion diagnostic programmed cell death ligand-1 (PD-L1) testing, previously established at our center for lung and bladder tumors, was undertaken in a few head and neck cancer cases. The scope of this study was to audit the relevant PD-L1 data and integrate the findings in our current clinical practice, with a view to promote improved routine laboratory biomarkers in HNSCC. Histopathology reports documenting tumor type, PD-L1 result and type of clone/assay were included in this study. Over a 5-year period, PD-L1 testing was undertaken in 199 cancer cases, including 3 with head and neck squamous carcinoma with low focal positive staining. Immunotherapy treatment in HNSCC demonstrates a discreet but still significant improvement in the overall survival of PD-L1 positive subjects.
CitationBancu B, Cowan R, Chaturvedi A. PD-L1 TESTING AND IMMUNOTHERAPY SELECTION – EARLY LABORATORY EXPERIENCE AND ITS POTENTIAL ROLE IN HEAD AND NECK CANCER MANAGEMENT [Internet]. Vol. 8, Archive of Clinical Cases. Grigore T. Popa University of Medicine and Pharmacy; 2021. p. 14–8.
JournalArchive of Clinical Cases
- Development of a programmed cell death ligand-1 immunohistochemical assay validated for analysis of non-small cell lung cancer and head and neck squamous cell carcinoma.
- Authors: Rebelatto MC, Midha A, Mistry A, Sabalos C, Schechter N, Li X, Jin X, Steele KE, Robbins PB, Blake-Haskins JA, Walker J
- Issue date: 2016 Oct 8
- Programmed Death-1/Programmed Death-Ligand 1-Axis Blockade in Recurrent or Metastatic Head and Neck Squamous Cell Carcinoma Stratified by Human Papillomavirus Status: A Systematic Review and Meta-Analysis.
- Authors: Xu Y, Zhu G, Maroun CA, Wu IXY, Huang D, Seiwert TY, Liu Y, Mandal R, Zhang X
- Issue date: 2021
- The genetic landscape of programmed death ligand-1 (PD-L1) alterations in head and neck cancer.
- Authors: Heineman TE, Widman A, Kuan EC, St John M
- Issue date: 2017 Jun
- The Society for Immunotherapy of Cancer consensus statement on immunotherapy for the treatment of squamous cell carcinoma of the head and neck (HNSCC).
- Authors: Cohen EEW, Bell RB, Bifulco CB, Burtness B, Gillison ML, Harrington KJ, Le QT, Lee NY, Leidner R, Lewis RL, Licitra L, Mehanna H, Mell LK, Raben A, Sikora AG, Uppaluri R, Whitworth F, Zandberg DP, Ferris RL
- Issue date: 2019 Jul 15
- PD-L1-specific helper T-cells exhibit effective antitumor responses: new strategy of cancer immunotherapy targeting PD-L1 in head and neck squamous cell carcinoma.
- Authors: Hirata-Nozaki Y, Ohkuri T, Ohara K, Kumai T, Nagata M, Harabuchi S, Kosaka A, Nagato T, Ishibashi K, Oikawa K, Aoki N, Ohara M, Harabuchi Y, Uno Y, Takei H, Celis E, Kobayashi H
- Issue date: 2019 Jun 20