Palbociclib in combination with aromatase inhibitors in patients ≥ 75 years with oestrogen receptor-positive, human epidermal growth factor receptor 2 negative advanced breast cancer: A real-world multicentre UK study
AuthorsEl Badri, S.
AffiliationWeston Park Hospital, Whitham Rd, Broomhall, Sheffield, S10 2SJ, UK.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractBackground: Breast cancer incidence increases with age and real-world data is essential to guide prescribing practices in the older population. The aim of this study was to collect large scale real-world data on tolerability and efficacy of palbociclib + AI in the first line treatment of ER+/HER2-advanced breast cancer in those aged ≥75 years. Methods: 14 cancer centres participated in this national UK retrospective study. Patients aged ≥75 years treated with palbociclib + AI in the first line setting were identified. Data included baseline demographics, disease characteristics, toxicities, dose reductions and delays, treatment response and survival data. Multivariable Cox regression was used to assess independent predictors of PFS, OS and toxicities. Results: 276 patients met the eligibility criteria. The incidence of febrile neutropenia was low (2.2%). The clinical benefit rate was 87%. 50.7% of patients had dose reductions and 59.3% had dose delays. The 12- and 24- month PFS rates were 75.9% and 64.9%, respectively. The 12- and 24- month OS rates were 85.1% and 74.0%, respectively. Multivariable analysis identified PS, Age-adjusted Charlson Comorbidity Index (ACCI) and number of metastatic sites to be independent predictors of PFS. Dose reductions and delays were not associated with adverse survival outcomes. Baseline ACCI was an independent predictor of development and severity of neutropenia. Conclusion: Palbociclib is an effective therapy in the real-world older population and is well-tolerated with low levels of clinically significant toxicities. The use of geriatric and frailty assessments can help guide decision making in these patients.
CitationEl Badri S, Tahir B, Balachandran K, Bezecny P, Britton F, Davies M, et al. Palbociclib in combination with aromatase inhibitors in patients ≥ 75 years with oestrogen receptor-positive, human epidermal growth factor receptor 2 negative advanced breast cancer: A real-world multicentre UK study [Internet]. Vol. 60, The Breast. Elsevier BV; 2021. p. 199–205.
- Progression-Free Survival for Real-World Use of Palbociclib in Hormone Receptor-Positive Metastatic Breast Cancer.
- Authors: Wilkie J, Schickli MA, Berger MJ, Lustberg M, Reinbolt R, Noonan A, Ramaswamy B, Sardesai S, VanDeusen J, Wesolowski R, Williams N, Stover DG, Li J, Vargo CA
- Issue date: 2020 Feb
- Palbociclib and endocrine therapy in heavily pretreated hormone receptor-positive HER2-negative advanced breast cancer: the UK Compassionate Access Programme experience.
- Authors: Battisti NML, Kingston B, King J, Denton A, Waters S, Sita-Lumsden A, Rehman F, Stavraka C, Kristeleit H, Sawyer E, Houghton D, Davidson N, Howell S, Choy J, Harper P, Roylance R, Fharat R, Mohammed K, Ring A, Johnston S
- Issue date: 2019 Apr
- Treatment patterns and clinical outcomes among patients receiving palbociclib in combination with an aromatase inhibitor or fulvestrant for HR+/HER2-negative advanced/metastatic breast cancer in real-world settings in the US: Results from the IRIS study.
- Authors: Taylor-Stokes G, Mitra D, Waller J, Gibson K, Milligan G, Iyer S
- Issue date: 2019 Feb
- Progression-free Survival Outcome Is Independent of Objective Response in Patients With Estrogen Receptor-positive, Human Epidermal Growth Factor Receptor 2-negative Advanced Breast Cancer Treated With Palbociclib Plus Letrozole Compared With Letrozole: Analysis From PALOMA-2.
- Authors: Rugo HS, Finn RS, Gelmon K, Joy AA, Harbeck N, Castrellon A, Mukai H, Walshe JM, Mori A, Gauthier E, Lu DR, Bananis E, Martin M, Diéras V
- Issue date: 2020 Apr
- Palbociclib in combination with endocrine therapy versus capecitabine in hormonal receptor-positive, human epidermal growth factor 2-negative, aromatase inhibitor-resistant metastatic breast cancer: a phase III randomised controlled trial-PEARL.
- Authors: Martin M, Zielinski C, Ruiz-Borrego M, Carrasco E, Turner N, Ciruelos EM, Muñoz M, Bermejo B, Margeli M, Anton A, Kahan Z, Csöszi T, Casas MI, Murillo L, Morales S, Alba E, Gal-Yam E, Guerrero-Zotano A, Calvo L, de la Haba-Rodriguez J, Ramos M, Alvarez I, Garcia-Palomo A, Huang Bartlett C, Koehler M, Caballero R, Corsaro M, Huang X, Garcia-Sáenz JA, Chacón JI, Swift C, Thallinger C, Gil-Gil M
- Issue date: 2021 Apr