Long-term results and GvHD after prophylactic and preemptive donor lymphocyte infusion after allogeneic stem cell transplantation for acute leukemia
Gorin, N. C.
AffiliationDepartment of Hematology and Oncology, Augsburg University Hospital and Medical Faculty, Augsburg, Germany
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractWe report on 318 patients with acute leukemia, receiving donor lymphocyte infusion (DLI) in complete hematologic remission (CHR) after allogeneic stem cell transplantation (alloSCT). DLI were applied preemptively (preDLI) for minimal residual disease (MRD, n = 23) or mixed chimerism (MC, n = 169), or as prophylaxis in high-risk patients with complete chimerism and molecular remission (proDLI, n = 126). Median interval from alloSCT to DLI1 was 176 days, median follow-up was 7.0 years. Five-year cumulative relapse incidence (CRI), non-relapse mortality (NRM), leukemia-free and overall survival (LFS/OS) of the entire cohort were 29.1%, 12.7%, 58.2%, and 64.3%. Cumulative incidences of acute graft-versus-host disease (aGvHD) grade II-IV°/chronic GvHD were 11.9%/31%. Nineteen patients (6%) died from DLI-induced GvHD. Age ≥60 years (p = 0.046), advanced stage at transplantation (p = 0.003), shorter interval from transplantation (p = 0.018), and prior aGvHD ≥II° (p = 0.036) were risk factors for DLI-induced GvHD. GvHD did not influence CRI, but was associated with NRM and lower LFS/OS. Efficacy of preDLI was demonstrated by decreasing MRD/increasing blood counts in 71%, and increasing chimerism in 70%. Five-year OS after preDLI for MRD/MC was 51%/68% among responders, and 37% among non-responders. The study describes response and outcome of DLI in CHR and helps to identify candidates without increased risk of severe GvHD.
CitationSchmid C, Labopin M, Schaap N, Veelken H, Brecht A, Stadler M, et al. Long-term results and GvHD after prophylactic and preemptive donor lymphocyte infusion after allogeneic stem cell transplantation for acute leukemia [Internet]. Bone Marrow Transplantation. Springer Science and Business Media LLC; 2021.
JournalBone Marrow Transplantation
- Comparison of outcomes after donor lymphocyte infusion with or without prior chemotherapy for minimal residual disease in acute leukemia/myelodysplastic syndrome after allogeneic hematopoietic stem cell transplantation.
- Authors: Mo XD, Zhang XH, Xu LP, Wang Y, Yan CH, Chen H, Chen YH, Han W, Wang FR, Wang JZ, Liu KY, Huang XJ
- Issue date: 2017 May
- Preemptive low-dose interleukin-2 or DLI for late-onset minimal residual disease in acute leukemia or myelodysplastic syndrome after allogeneic hematopoietic stem cell transplantation.
- Authors: Yuan XL, Tan YM, Shi JM, Zhao YM, Yu J, Lai XY, Yang LX, Huang H, Luo Y
- Issue date: 2021 Feb
- Comparison of the safety and efficacy of prophylactic donor lymphocyte infusion after haploidentical versus matched-sibling PBSCT in very high-risk acute myeloid leukemia.
- Authors: Gao XN, Lin J, Wang LJ, Li F, Li HH, Wang SH, Huang WR, Gao CJ, Yu L, Liu DH
- Issue date: 2019 May
- Prophylactic Donor Lymphocyte Infusion (DLI) Followed by Minimal Residual Disease and Graft-versus-Host Disease-Guided Multiple DLIs Could Improve Outcomes after Allogeneic Hematopoietic Stem Cell Transplantation in Patients with Refractory/Relapsed Acute Leukemia.
- Authors: Yan CH, Liu QF, Wu DP, Zhang X, Xu LP, Zhang XH, Wang Y, Huang H, Bai H, Huang F, Ma X, Huang XJ
- Issue date: 2017 Aug
- Alpha-interferon with very-low-dose donor lymphocyte infusion for hematologic or cytogenetic relapse of chronic myeloid leukemia induces rapid and durable complete remissions and is associated with acceptable graft-versus-host disease.
- Authors: Posthuma EF, Marijt EW, Barge RM, van Soest RA, Baas IO, Starrenburg CW, van Zelderen-Bhola SL, Fibbe WE, Smit WM, Willemze R, Falkenburg JH
- Issue date: 2004 Mar