AffiliationDepartment of Urology, Hull University Teaching Hospital, Castle Hill Hospital, Cottingham, United Kingdom
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractObjective: To design and assess a novel penile fracture simulation model for teaching penile fracture repair. Methods: We used a validated circumcision simulator to create a model. Foreskin for a circumcision was divided into two halves. A transverse slit ("simulated fracture") was created on one part of the first half of the foreskin (mimicking "tunica") and was applied over the penile model. A red jelly tablet ("clot") was placed underneath the cut. A second full-length of foreskin was applied over it to cover the defect. The model was assessed by participants and expert faculty at the Urology Simulation Boot Camp. Evaluation was performed using a 5-point Likert Scale questionnaire. Data was analysed using Microsoft Excel and IBM SPSS Statistics V25. The intra-class correlation was calculated using a "One-way random model". Results: Twenty-two urology trainees and four experts participated in the evaluation. The majority of trainees strongly agreed (59%, n = 13) the model is useful for training with experts similarly agreeing in 75% of cases. The appearance of penile fracture was considered good by both trainees (68%, n = 14) and faculty (75%). Overall, the ability of the model to represent a realistic simulation of the task was considered excellent by 23% of participants and good by 64%. Personal confidence after simulation in managing a similar situation was considered high among trainees. The main difficulties reported were related to fascial planes and urethra. Conclusion: This is the first simulation model for penile fracture repair and has demonstrated face validity at a national urology bootcamp.
CitationKozan AA, Logan M, Parnham A, Liew M, Barrass B, Venugopal S, et al. Design and assessment of a penile fracture simulation model [Internet]. Vol. 45, Actas Urológicas Españolas (English Edition). Elsevier BV; 2021. p. 582–6.
JournalActas Urologicas Espanola
- Design and assessment of a penile fracture simulation model.
- Authors: Kozan AA, Logan M, Parnham A, Liew M, Barrass B, Venugopal S, Biyani CS, Taylor J
- Issue date: 2021 Jun 28
- A training model to teach early management of priapism.
- Authors: Berridge CT, Kailavasan M, Logan M, Johnson J, Biyani CS, Taylor J
- Issue date: 2021 Apr
- Urology simulation boot camp: A perspective from non-UK delegates.
- Authors: Sundelin MO, Silva JDC, Daele AV, Savopoulos V, Pirola GM, Ranasinghe S, Cleynenbreugel BV, Biyani CS, Kailavasan M
- Issue date: 2021 Jan-Feb
- A simple novel training model for teaching suprapubic catheter (SPC) exchange.
- Authors: Bratt DG, Berridge C, Young M, Kailavasan M, Taylor J, Biyani CS
- Issue date: 2020 Oct
- Design and validation of a low-cost, high-fidelity model for robotic pyeloplasty simulation training.
- Authors: Timberlake MD, Garbens A, Schlomer BJ, Kavoussi NL, Kern AJM, Peters CA, Gahan JC
- Issue date: 2020 Jun