TIAM1-RAC1 promote small-cell lung cancer cell survival through antagonizing Nur77-induced BCL2 conformational change
White, Gavin R M
Simpson, Kathryn L
Blackhall, Fiona H
AffiliationCell Signalling Group, Cancer Research UK Manchester Institute, The University of Manchester, Alderley Park SK10 4TG
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractSmall-cell lung cancer (SCLC), an aggressive neuroendocrine malignancy, has limited treatment options beyond platinum-based chemotherapy, whereafter acquired resistance is rapid and common. By analyzing expression data from SCLC tumors, patient-derived models, and established cell lines, we show that the expression of TIAM1, an activator of the small GTPase RAC1, is associated with a neuroendocrine gene program. TIAM1 depletion or RAC1 inhibition reduces viability and tumorigenicity of SCLC cells by increasing apoptosis associated with conversion of BCL2 from its pro-survival to pro-apoptotic function via BH3 domain exposure. This conversion is dependent upon cytoplasmic translocation of Nur77, an orphan nuclear receptor. TIAM1 interacts with and sequesters Nur77 in SCLC cell nuclei and TIAM1 depletion or RAC1 inhibition promotes Nur77 translocation to the cytoplasm. Mutant TIAM1 with reduced Nur77 binding fails to suppress apoptosis triggered by TIAM1 depletion. In conclusion, TIAM1-RAC1 signaling promotes SCLC cell survival via Nur77 nuclear sequestration.
CitationPayapilly A, Guilbert R, Descamps T, White G, Magee P, Zhou C, et al. TIAM1-RAC1 promote small-cell lung cancer cell survival through antagonizing Nur77-induced BCL2 conformational change [Internet]. Vol. 37, Cell Reports. Elsevier BV; 2021. p. 109979.
- Inhibition of p62/SQSTM1 sensitizes small-cell lung cancer cells to cisplatin-induced cytotoxicity by targeting NEDD9 expression.
- Authors: Xu L, Xu F, Kong Q, Yang T, Tan D, Zhang X, Li N, Zhao S, Zhao J, Li M
- Issue date: 2020 Aug
- Vulnerability of Small-Cell Lung Cancer to Apoptosis Induced by the Combination of BET Bromodomain Proteins and BCL2 Inhibitors.
- Authors: Lam LT, Lin X, Faivre EJ, Yang Z, Huang X, Wilcox DM, Bellin RJ, Jin S, Tahir SK, Mitten M, Magoc T, Bhathena A, Kati WM, Albert DH, Shen Y, Uziel T
- Issue date: 2017 Aug
- Identification of deregulation of apoptosis and cell cycle in neuroendocrine tumors of the lung via NanoString nCounter expression analysis.
- Authors: Walter RF, Werner R, Ting S, Vollbrecht C, Theegarten D, Christoph DC, Schmid KW, Wohlschlaeger J, Mairinger FD
- Issue date: 2015 Sep 22
- BI1071, a Novel Nur77 Modulator, Induces Apoptosis of Cancer Cells by Activating the Nur77-Bcl-2 Apoptotic Pathway.
- Authors: Chen X, Cao X, Tu X, Alitongbieke G, Xia Z, Li X, Chen Z, Yin M, Xu D, Guo S, Li Z, Chen L, Zhang X, Xu D, Gao M, Liu J, Zeng Z, Zhou H, Su Y, Zhang XK
- Issue date: 2019 May
- Glucocorticoid receptor-mediated apoptosis in small-cell lung cancer requires interaction with BCL2.
- Authors: Schlossmacher G, Platt E, Davies A, Meredith S, White A
- Issue date: 2013 Dec