Reorganization of the 3D genome pinpoints non-coding drivers of primary prostate tumors
AuthorsHawley, J. R.
Kron, K. J.
van der Kwast, T. H.
Boutros, P. C.
Bristow, Robert G
AffiliationMedical Biophysics, University of Toronto, Princess Margaret Cancer Center-University Health Network, Ontario Institute for Cancer Research
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractProstate cancer is a heterogeneous disease whose progression is linked to genome instability. However, the impact of this instability on the non-coding genome and its three-dimensional organization to aid progression is unclear. Using primary benign and tumor tissue, we find a high concordance in higher order three-dimensional genome organization. This concordance argues for constraints to the topology of prostate tumor genomes. theless, we identified changes in focal chromatin interactions, typical of loops bridging non-coding cis-regulatory elements, and showed how structural variants can induce these changes to guide cis-regulatory element hijacking. Such events resulted in opposing differential expression of genes found at antipodes of rearrangements. Collectively, these results argue that changes to focal chromatin interactions, as opposed to higher order genome organization, allow for aberrant gene regulation and are repeatedly mediated by structural variants in primary prostate cancer.
CitationHawley JR, Zhou S, Arlidge C, Grillo G, Kron KJ, Hugh-White R, et al. Reorganization of the 3D genome pinpoints non-coding drivers of primary prostate tumors. Cancer Research. American Association for Cancer Research (AACR); 2021. p. canres.CAN-21-2056-E.2021.
- DNA methylation-based chromatin compartments and ChIP-seq profiles reveal transcriptional drivers of prostate carcinogenesis.
- Authors: Simmonds P, Loomis E, Curry E
- Issue date: 2017 Jun 7
- Discovery of regulatory noncoding variants in individual cancer genomes by using cis-X.
- Authors: Liu Y, Li C, Shen S, Chen X, Szlachta K, Edmonson MN, Shao Y, Ma X, Hyle J, Wright S, Ju B, Rusch MC, Liu Y, Li B, Macias M, Tian L, Easton J, Qian M, Yang JJ, Hu S, Look AT, Zhang J
- Issue date: 2020 Aug
- Long noncoding RNAs and prostate carcinogenesis: the missing 'linc'?
- Authors: Walsh AL, Tuzova AV, Bolton EM, Lynch TH, Perry AS
- Issue date: 2014 Aug
- A Deep Learning Framework Identifies Pathogenic Noncoding Somatic Mutations from Personal Prostate Cancer Genomes.
- Authors: Wang C, Li J
- Issue date: 2020 Nov 1
- The New Frontier of Functional Genomics: From Chromatin Architecture and Noncoding RNAs to Therapeutic Targets.
- Authors: Papanicolaou N, Bonetti A
- Issue date: 2020 Jul