Learning healthcare systems and rapid learning in radiation oncology: Where are we and where are we going?
AuthorsPrice, Gareth J
Mackay, Ranald I
Aznar, Marianne Camille
van Herk, Marcel
AffiliationThe University of Manchester, Manchester Academic Health Science Centre, The Christie NHS Foundation Trust, United Kingdom
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractLearning health systems and rapid-learning are well developed at the conceptual level. The promise of rapidly generating and applying evidence where conventional clinical trials would not usually be practical is attractive in principle. The connectivity of modern digital healthcare information systems and the increasing volumes of data accrued through patients' care pathways offer an ideal platform for the concepts. This is particularly true in radiotherapy where modern treatment planning and image guidance offers a precise digital record of the treatment planned and delivered. The vision is of real-world data, accrued by patients during their routine care, being used to drive programmes of continuous clinical improvement as part of standard practice. This vision, however, is not yet a reality in radiotherapy departments. In this article we review the literature to explore why this is not the case, identify barriers to its implementation, and suggest how wider clinical application might be achieved.
CitationPrice G, Mackay R, Aznar M, McWilliam A, Johnson-Hart C, van Herk M, et al. Learning healthcare systems and rapid learning in radiation oncology: Where are we and where are we going?. Vol. 164, Radiotherapy and Oncology. Elsevier BV; 2021. p. 183�95.
JournalRadiotherapy and Oncology
- The future of Cochrane Neonatal.
- Authors: Soll RF, Ovelman C, McGuire W
- Issue date: 2020 Nov
- Critical Care Network in the State of Qatar.
- Authors: Hijjeh M, Al Shaikh L, Alinier G, Selwood D, Malmstrom F, Hassan IF
- Issue date: 2019
- Leaders' perspectives on learning health systems: a qualitative study.
- Authors: Enticott J, Braaf S, Johnson A, Jones A, Teede HJ
- Issue date: 2020 Nov 26
- Realizing a learning health system through process, rigor and culture change.
- Authors: Taylor YJ, Kowalkowski M, Spencer MD, Evans SM, Hall MN, Rissmiller S, Shrestha R, McWilliams A
- Issue date: 2021 Jun
- The Radiotherapy Learning Healthcare System - Working Together to Improve the Quality of Radiotherapy Nationally.
- Authors: Burnett A, Johnson P, Locke I, Illidge T
- Issue date: 2022 Jun