Potential utility of liquid biopsies in the management of patients with biliary tract cancers: A review
AffiliationDepartment of Medical Oncology, The Christie NHS Foundation Trust, Manchester M20 4BX
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractBiliary tract cancer, comprising gallbladder cancer, cholangiocarcinoma and ampullary cancer, represents a more uncommon entity outside high-endemic areas, though global incidence is rising. The majority of patients present at a late stage, and 5-year survival remains poor. Advanced stage disease is incurable, and though palliative chemotherapy has been shown to improve survival, further diagnostic and therapeutic options are required in order to improve patient outcomes. Although certain subtypes of biliary tract cancer are relatively rich in targetable mutations, attaining tumour tissue for histological diagnosis and treatment monitoring is challenging due to locoregional anatomical constraints and patient fitness. Liquid biopsies offer a safe and convenient alternative to invasive procedures and have great potential as diagnostic, predictive and prognostic biomarkers. In this review, the current standard of care for patients with biliary tract cancer, future treatment horizons and the possible utility of liquid biopsies within a variety of contexts will be discussed. Circulating tumour DNA, circulating microRNA and circulating tumour cells are discussed with an overview of their potential applications in management of biliary tract cancer. A summary is also provided of currently recruiting clinical trials incorporating liquid biopsies within biliary tract cancer research.
CitationShotton R, Lamarca A, Valle J, McNamara MG. Potential utility of liquid biopsies in the management of patients with biliary tract cancers: A review. Vol. 13, World Journal of Gastrointestinal Oncology. Baishideng Publishing Group Inc.; 2021. p. 1073�85.
JournalWorld Journal of Gastrointestinal Oncology
- Molecular Profiling in Daily Clinical Practice: Practicalities in Advanced Cholangiocarcinoma and Other Biliary Tract Cancers.
- Authors: Lamarca A, Kapacee Z, Breeze M, Bell C, Belcher D, Staiger H, Taylor C, McNamara MG, Hubner RA, Valle JW
- Issue date: 2020 Sep 3
- Current standards and future perspectives in adjuvant treatment for biliary tract cancers.
- Authors: Lamarca A, Edeline J, McNamara MG, Hubner RA, Nagino M, Bridgewater J, Primrose J, Valle JW
- Issue date: 2020 Mar
- Biliary tract cancer.
- Authors: Valle JW, Kelley RK, Nervi B, Oh DY, Zhu AX
- Issue date: 2021 Jan 30
- Clinical Utility of Liquid Diagnostic Platforms in Non-Small Cell Lung Cancer.
- Authors: Levy B, Hu ZI, Cordova KN, Close S, Lee K, Becker D
- Issue date: 2016 Sep
- Second-line FOLFOX chemotherapy versus active symptom control for advanced biliary tract cancer (ABC-06): a phase 3, open-label, randomised, controlled trial.
- Authors: Lamarca A, Palmer DH, Wasan HS, Ross PJ, Ma YT, Arora A, Falk S, Gillmore R, Wadsley J, Patel K, Anthoney A, Maraveyas A, Iveson T, Waters JS, Hobbs C, Barber S, Ryder WD, Ramage J, Davies LM, Bridgewater JA, Valle JW, Advanced Biliary Cancer Working Group.
- Issue date: 2021 May