Randomised evaluation of quizartinib and low-dose ara-C vs low-dose ara-C in older acute myeloid leukemia patients
Burnett, A. K.
Gilkes, A. F.
Hemmaway, C. J.
Clark, R. E.
Russell, N. H.
Hills, R. K.
AffiliationThe Christie, Manchester, United Kingdom
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractSurvival for older patients with acute myeloid leukaemia (AML) unsuitable for intensive chemotherapy is unsatisfactory. Standard non intensive therapies have low response rates and only extend life by a few months. Quizartinib is an oral Fms-like tyrosine kinase 3 (FLT3) inhibitor with reported activity in wild type patients. As part of the AML LI trial we undertook a randomised evaluation of low dose ara-C (LDAC) with or without quizartinib in patients not fit for intensive chemotherapy. Overall, survival was not improved (202 patients), but in the 27 FLT3-ITD patients the addition of quizartinib to LDAC improved response (p=0.05) with CR/CRi for quizartinib + LDAC in 5/13 (38%) v 0/14 (0%) in patients receiving LDAC alone. Overall survival (OS) in these FLT3-ITD positive patients was also significantly improved at 2 years for quizartinib + LDAC; hazard ratio 0.36 (95% confidence intervals 0.16, 0.85), (p=0.04). Median OS was 13.7 months compared to 4.2 months with LDAC alone. This is the first report of a FLT3 targeted therapy added to standard non-intensive chemotherapy that has improved survival in this population. Quizartinib merits consideration for future triplet based treatment approaches.
CitationDennis M, Thomas I, Ariti C, Upton L, Burnett AK, Gilkes AF, et al. Randomised evaluation of quizartinib and low-dose ara-C vs low-dose ara-C in older acute myeloid leukemia patients. Blood Advances. American Society of Hematology; 2021.
- A phase I/II study of the combination of quizartinib with azacitidine or low-dose cytarabine for the treatment of patients with acute myeloid leukemia and myelodysplastic syndrome.
- Authors: Swaminathan M, Kantarjian HM, Levis M, Guerra V, Borthakur G, Alvarado Y, DiNardo CD, Kadia T, Garcia-Manero G, Ohanian M, Daver N, Konopleva M, Pemmaraju N, Ferrajoli A, Andreeff M, Jain N, Estrov Z, Jabbour EJ, Wierda WG, Pierce S, Pinsoy MR, Xiao L, Ravandi F, Cortes JE
- Issue date: 2021 Aug 1
- Quizartinib versus salvage chemotherapy in relapsed or refractory FLT3-ITD acute myeloid leukaemia (QuANTUM-R): a multicentre, randomised, controlled, open-label, phase 3 trial.
- Authors: Cortes JE, Khaled S, Martinelli G, Perl AE, Ganguly S, Russell N, Krämer A, Dombret H, Hogge D, Jonas BA, Leung AY, Mehta P, Montesinos P, Radsak M, Sica S, Arunachalam M, Holmes M, Kobayashi K, Namuyinga R, Ge N, Yver A, Zhang Y, Levis MJ
- Issue date: 2019 Jul
- Quizartinib, an FLT3 inhibitor, as monotherapy in patients with relapsed or refractory acute myeloid leukaemia: an open-label, multicentre, single-arm, phase 2 trial.
- Authors: Cortes J, Perl AE, Döhner H, Kantarjian H, Martinelli G, Kovacsovics T, Rousselot P, Steffen B, Dombret H, Estey E, Strickland S, Altman JK, Baldus CD, Burnett A, Krämer A, Russell N, Shah NP, Smith CC, Wang ES, Ifrah N, Gammon G, Trone D, Lazzaretto D, Levis M
- Issue date: 2018 Jul
- Clinical Outcomes in Patients with FLT3-ITD-Mutated Relapsed/Refractory Acute Myelogenous Leukemia Undergoing Hematopoietic Stem Cell Transplantation after Quizartinib or Salvage Chemotherapy in the QuANTUM-R Trial.
- Authors: Ganguly S, Cortes JE, Krämer A, Levis MJ, Martinelli G, Perl AE, Russell NH, Arunachalam M, Santos CD, Gammon G, Lesegretain A, Mires DE, Pham H, Wang Y, Khaled SK
- Issue date: 2021 Feb
- Homoharringtonine synergizes with quizartinib in FLT3-ITD acute myeloid leukemia by targeting FLT3-AKT-c-Myc pathway.
- Authors: Wang F, Huang J, Guo T, Zheng Y, Zhang L, Zhang D, Wang F, Naren D, Cui Y, Liu X, Qu Y, Luo H, Yang Y, Wei H, Guo Y
- Issue date: 2021 Jun