Risk-based decision-making in the treatment of HER2-positive early breast cancer: Recommendations based on the current state of knowledge
Geyer, C. E.
Perez, E. A.
Tolaney, S. M.
Wardley, Andrew M
AffiliationAGO-B and Sana Klinikum Offenbach GmbH, Offenbach, Germany
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractTreatment of HER2-positive early breast cancer (EBC) continues to evolve with neoadjuvant (pre-operative) and adjuvant (post-operative) HER2-targeted therapies as standard of care. There are two important decision points. The first involves deciding between neoadjuvant therapy or proceeding directly to surgery. Neoadjuvant chemotherapy (NACT) plus pertuzumab-trastuzumab is appropriate for patients with high-risk HER2-positive EBC (tumour diameter ≥2 cm, and/or node-positive disease). Patients with node-negative disease and tumour diameter <2 cm are candidates for upfront surgery followed by paclitaxel for 12 weeks plus 18 cycles of trastuzumab, with the option to add pertuzumab (if pN+). The second decision point involves the pathohistological result at surgery after neoadjuvant therapy. Total pathological complete response (tpCR: ypT0/is, ypN0) is associated with improved survival endpoints. Patients with tumours ≥2 cm and/or node-positive disease at diagnosis who have a tpCR after dual blockade should continue pertuzumab-trastuzumab in the adjuvant setting to complete 1 year (18cycles) of treatment. For patients with invasive residual disease, 14cycles of post-neoadjuvant trastuzumab emtansine (T-DM1) therapy significantly increases invasive-DFS compared with trastuzumab. Extended adjuvant therapy with neratinib is an option in selected patients (HER2-positive and oestrogen receptor [ER]-positive) who have completed adjuvant trastuzumab-based therapy. Less aggressive chemotherapy regimens are recommended in populations with a lower risk of recurrence (patients with small tumours without axillary involvement; patients unlikely to tolerate anthracycline-taxane or taxane-carboplatin regimens). Ultimately, treatment recommendations should be consistent with local and international guidelines. Further studies will guide optimisation of treatment for patients with HER2-positive EBC according to the risk of disease recurrence.
CitationJackisch C, Cortazar P, Geyer CE Jr, Gianni L, Gligorov J, Machackova Z, et al. Risk-based decision-making in the treatment of HER2-positive early breast cancer: Recommendations based on the current state of knowledge. Cancer Treatment Reviews. 2021 Sep;99:102229.
JournalCancer Treatment Reviews
- Neoadjuvant trastuzumab, pertuzumab, and chemotherapy versus trastuzumab emtansine plus pertuzumab in patients with HER2-positive breast cancer (KRISTINE): a randomised, open-label, multicentre, phase 3 trial.
- Authors: Hurvitz SA, Martin M, Symmans WF, Jung KH, Huang CS, Thompson AM, Harbeck N, Valero V, Stroyakovskiy D, Wildiers H, Campone M, Boileau JF, Beckmann MW, Afenjar K, Fresco R, Helms HJ, Xu J, Lin YG, Sparano J, Slamon D
- Issue date: 2018 Jan
- A randomized, 3-arm, neoadjuvant, phase 2 study comparing docetaxel + carboplatin + trastuzumab + pertuzumab (TCbHP), TCbHP followed by trastuzumab emtansine and pertuzumab (T-DM1+P), and T-DM1+P in HER2-positive primary breast cancer.
- Authors: Masuda N, Ohtani S, Takano T, Inoue K, Suzuki E, Nakamura R, Bando H, Ito Y, Ishida K, Yamanaka T, Kuroi K, Yasojima H, Kasai H, Takasuka T, Sakurai T, Kataoka TR, Morita S, Ohno S, Toi M
- Issue date: 2020 Feb
- A randomized, controlled phase II trial of neoadjuvant ado-trastuzumab emtansine, lapatinib, and nab-paclitaxel versus trastuzumab, pertuzumab, and paclitaxel in HER2-positive breast cancer (TEAL study).
- Authors: Patel TA, Ensor JE, Creamer SL, Boone T, Rodriguez AA, Niravath PA, Darcourt JG, Meisel JL, Li X, Zhao J, Kuhn JG, Rosato RR, Qian W, Belcheva A, Schwartz MR, Kaklamani VG, Chang JC
- Issue date: 2019 Sep 2
- Adjuvant T-DM1 versus trastuzumab in patients with residual invasive disease after neoadjuvant therapy for HER2-positive breast cancer: subgroup analyses from KATHERINE.
- Authors: Mamounas EP, Untch M, Mano MS, Huang CS, Geyer CE Jr, von Minckwitz G, Wolmark N, Pivot X, Kuemmel S, DiGiovanna MP, Kaufman B, Kunz G, Conlin AK, Alcedo JC, Kuehn T, Wapnir I, Fontana A, Hackmann J, Polikoff J, Saghatchian M, Brufsky A, Yang Y, Zimovjanova M, Boulet T, Liu H, Tesarowski D, Lam LH, Song C, Smitt M, Loibl S
- Issue date: 2021 Aug
- Pathologic Complete Response with Neoadjuvant Doxorubicin and Cyclophosphamide Followed by Paclitaxel with Trastuzumab and Pertuzumab in Patients with HER2-Positive Early Stage Breast Cancer: A Single Center Experience.
- Authors: Singh JC, Mamtani A, Barrio A, Morrow M, Sugarman S, Jones LW, Yu AF, Argolo D, Smyth LM, Modi S, Schweber S, Boafo C, Patil S, Norton L, Baselga J, Hudis CA, Dang C
- Issue date: 2017 Feb