Subpathologies and genomic classifier for treatment individualization of post-prostatectomy radiotherapy
Chua, M. L. K.
Fleshner, N. E.
Dicker, A. P.
Bristow, Robert G
He, H. H.
van der Kwast, T.
Den, R. B.
AffiliationDepartment of Radiation Oncology, University of Toronto; Radiation Medicine Program, Princess Margaret Cancer Centre, University Health Network, Toronto, Ontario, Canada
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractPurpose/objective: Risk-stratification for post-prostatectomy radiotherapy (PORT) using conventional clinicopathologic indexes leads to substantial over- and under-treatment. Better patient selection could spare unnecessary toxicities and improve outcomes. We investigated the prognostic utility of unfavorable subpathologies intraductal carcinoma and cribriform architecture (IDC/CA), and a 22-gene Decipher genomic classifier (GC) in prostate cancer (PCa) patients receiving PORT. Material/methods: A cohort of 302 men who received PORT at 2 academic institutions was pooled. PORT was predominately delivered as salvage (62% of cases); 20% received HT+PORT. Specimens were centrally reviewed for IDC/CA presence. In 104 cases, GC scores were determined. Endpoints were biochemical relapse-free (bRFR) and metastasis-free (mFR) rates. Results: After a median follow-up of 6.49-years, 135 (45%) and 40 (13%) men experienced biochemical relapse and metastasis, respectively. IDC/CA were identified in 160 (53%) of cases. Men harboring IDC/CA experienced inferior bRFR (HR 2.6, 95%CI 1.8-3.2, P<0.001) and mFR (HR 3.1, 95%CI 1.5-6.4, P = 0.0014). Patients with GC scores, 22 (21%) were stratified low-, 30 (29%) intermediate-, and 52 (50%) high-risk. GC low-risk was associated with superior bRFR (HR 0.25, 95%CI 0.1-0.5, P<0.001) and mFR (HR 0.15, 95%CI 0.03-0.8, P = 0.025). On multivariable analyses, IDC/CA and GC independently predicted for bRFR, corresponding to improved discrimination (C-index = 0.737 (95%CI 0.662-0.813)). Conclusions: IDC/CA subpathologies and GC predict for biochemical relapse and metastasis beyond conventional clinicopathologic indexes in the PORT setting. Patients harboring IDC/CA are at higher risk of relapse after maximal local therapies, thus warranting consideration for treatment intensification strategies. Conversely, for men with absence of IDC/CA and low GC scores, de-intensification strategies could be explored.
CitationRamotar M, Chua MLK, Truong H, Hosni A, Pintilie M, Davicioni E, et al. Subpathologies and genomic classifier for treatment individualization of post-prostatectomy radiotherapy. Urologic Oncology: Seminars and Original Investigations. 2021 Sep.
- A Prostate Cancer "Nimbosus": Genomic Instability and SChLAP1 Dysregulation Underpin Aggression of Intraductal and Cribriform Subpathologies.
- Authors: Chua MLK, Lo W, Pintilie M, Murgic J, Lalonde E, Bhandari V, Mahamud O, Gopalan A, Kweldam CF, van Leenders GJLH, Verhoef EI, Hoogland AM, Livingstone J, Berlin A, Dal Pra A, Meng A, Zhang J, Orain M, Picard V, Hovington H, Bergeron A, Lacombe L, Fradet Y, Têtu B, Reuter VE, Fleshner N, Fraser M, Boutros PC, van der Kwast TH, Bristow RG
- Issue date: 2017 Nov
- Prognostic impact of intraductal carcinoma and large cribriform carcinoma architecture after prostatectomy in a contemporary cohort.
- Authors: Trudel D, Downes MR, Sykes J, Kron KJ, Trachtenberg J, van der Kwast TH
- Issue date: 2014 Jun
- Tissue-based Genomics Augments Post-prostatectomy Risk Stratification in a Natural History Cohort of Intermediate- and High-Risk Men.
- Authors: Ross AE, Johnson MH, Yousefi K, Davicioni E, Netto GJ, Marchionni L, Fedor HL, Glavaris S, Choeurng V, Buerki C, Erho N, Lam LL, Humphreys EB, Faraj S, Bezerra SM, Han M, Partin AW, Trock BJ, Schaeffer EM
- Issue date: 2016 Jan
- Performance of a Prostate Cancer Genomic Classifier in Predicting Metastasis in Men with Prostate-specific Antigen Persistence Postprostatectomy.
- Authors: Spratt DE, Dai DLY, Den RB, Troncoso P, Yousefi K, Ross AE, Schaeffer EM, Haddad Z, Davicioni E, Mehra R, Morgan TM, Rayford W, Abdollah F, Trabulsi E, Achim M, Tapia ELN, Guerrero M, Karnes RJ, Dicker AP, Hurwitz MA, Nguyen PL, Feng FFY, Freedland SJ, Davis JW
- Issue date: 2018 Jul
- Utilization of a Genomic Classifier for Prediction of Metastasis Following Salvage Radiation Therapy after Radical Prostatectomy.
- Authors: Freedland SJ, Choeurng V, Howard L, De Hoedt A, du Plessis M, Yousefi K, Lam LL, Buerki C, Ra S, Robbins B, Trabulsi EJ, Shah NL, Abdollah F, Feng FY, Davicioni E, Dicker AP, Karnes RJ, Den RB
- Issue date: 2016 Oct