Progress and pitfalls with the use of image-guided personalised approaches in lymphoma
AffiliationDivision of Cancer Sciences, Faculty of Biology, Medicine and Health, University of Manchester, NIHR Biomedical Research Centre, Manchester Academic Health Sciences Centre, Christie Hospital NHS Foundation Trust, Manchester, UK.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractThe use of 18F-FDG PET CT has become an essential part of the management of patients with lymphoma. The last decade has seen unrivalled progress in research efforts to personalise treatment approaches using PET as a predictive imaging biomarker. Critical to this success has been the standardisation of PET methods and reporting, including the 5-point Deauville scale, which has enabled the delivery of robust clinical trial data to develop response-adapted treatment approaches.(1, 2) The utility of PET as a predictive imaging biomarker in assessing treatment success or failure has been investigated extensively in malignant lymphomas. Considerable progress has been made over the last decade, in using PET to direct more personalised "risk-adapted" approaches, as well as an increased understanding of some of the limitations. Arguably the greatest success has been in Hodgkin Lymphoma (HL) where PET was initially demonstrated to be a powerful predictive biomarker (3) and is now routinely used in both early-stage and advanced HL to reduce or escalate the use of chemotherapy as well as guiding the delivery of more selective radiotherapy to patients.
Citationllidge TM, Phillips EH. Progress and pitfalls with the use of image-guided personalised approaches in lymphoma. BJR. 2021 Sep 14;20210609.
JournalBritish Journal of Radiology
- (18)F-FDG PET/CT in Lymphoma: Has Imaging-Directed Personalized Medicine Become a Reality?
- Authors: Barrington SF, Johnson PWM
- Issue date: 2017 Oct
- Positron emission tomography/computed tomography in the management of Hodgkin and B-cell non-Hodgkin lymphoma: An update.
- Authors: Juweid ME, Mueller M, Alhouri A, A-Risheq MZ, Mottaghy FM
- Issue date: 2021 Oct 15
- FDG-PET/CT in the management of lymphomas: current status and future directions.
- Authors: El-Galaly TC, Villa D, Gormsen LC, Baech J, Lo A, Cheah CY
- Issue date: 2018 Oct
- PET/CT for Lymphoma Post-therapy Response Assessment in Hodgkin Lymphoma and Diffuse Large B-cell Lymphoma.
- Authors: Kobe C, Dietlein M, Hellwig D
- Issue date: 2018 Jan
- Combined prognostic role of TARC and interim (18)F-FDG PET/CT in patients with Hodgkin lymphoma-real world observational study.
- Authors: Husi K, Pinczés LI, Fejes Z, Nagy B Jr, Illés Á, Miltényi Z
- Issue date: 2022 May-Aug