Histopathological and ultrastructural study of carotid atherosclerotic plaques: a study of four cases
Eyden, Brian P
AffiliationState Key Laboratory of Experimental Hematology, National Clinical Research Center for Blood Diseases, Institute of Hematology and Blood Diseases Hospital, Chinese Academy of Medical Sciences and Peking Union Medical College, Tianjin, China.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractTo clarify the characteristics and origin of the cellular components in atherosclerosis, carotid atherosclerotic plaques (CAPs) of four patients were studied by light microscopy using hematoxylin-eosin, Congo red and alpha-smooth-muscle actin stains, and by transmission electron microscopy of different regions of CAPs. By light microscopy, CAPs were composed of 1) a fibrous cap; 2) an atherosclerotic core presenting focal fibrosis, neovascularization, hemorrhage, necrosis, chondrification and ossification; and 3) a basal band composed of a hyperplasic pseudo-media and affected tunica media. Ultrastructurally, the CAPs contained a diversity of cells including fibroblasts, myofibroblasts, osteochondrocytes, vascular smooth-muscle cells, foam cells and other myoid cells characterized by varied features of the above mentioned cells. The results indicated that CAPs were derived from a proliferation of multipotential mesenchymal stem cells, leading to the presence of degenerated foam cells and lipid-laden cells.
CitationYong-xin R, Xue-bin Z, Shu-xu D, Yongqiang Z, Ying L, Jing L, et al. Histopathological and ultrastructural study of carotid atherosclerotic plaques: a study of four cases. Ultrastructural Pathology. 2021 Aug 30;1–16.
- Foam cell origination from degenerated vascular smooth muscle cells in atherosclerosis: An ultrastructural study on hyperlipidemic rabbits.
- Authors: Ru YX, Shang HC, Dong SX, Zhao SX, Liang HY, Zhu CJ
- Issue date: 2020 Jan 2
- Atherosclerotic plaques composed of a large core of foam cells covered with thin fibrous caps in twice-injured carotid arterial specimens obtained from high cholesterol diet-fed rabbits.
- Authors: Yano T, Kawano H, Mochizuki H, Doi O, Nakamura T, Saito Y
- Issue date: 2000
- Changes in aspects such as the collagenous fiber density and foam cell size of atherosclerotic lesions composed of foam cells, smooth muscle cells and fibrous components in rabbits caused by all-cis-5, 8, 11, 14, 17-icosapentaenoic acid.
- Authors: Kawano H, Yano T, Mizuguchi K, Mochizuki H, Saito Y
- Issue date: 2002
- Fibrous and lipid-rich atherosclerotic plaques are part of interchangeable morphologies related to inflammation: a concept.
- Authors: van der Wal AC, Becker AE, van der Loos CM, Tigges AJ, Das PK
- Issue date: 1994 Jun
- Matrix vesicles in the fibrous cap of atherosclerotic plaque: possible contribution to plaque rupture.
- Authors: Bobryshev YV, Killingsworth MC, Lord RS, Grabs AJ
- Issue date: 2008 Oct