Biguanides drugs: Past success stories and promising future for drug discovery
AffiliationUniversité Côte d'Azur, CNRS, Institut de Chimie de Nice UMR 7272, 28 Avenue Valrose, 06108, Nice, France; Drug Discovery Unit, Cancer Research UK Manchester Institute, University of Manchester, Alderley Park, Macclesfield, SK10 4TG,
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractBiguanides have attracted much attention a century ago and showed resurgent interest in recent years after a long period of dormancy. They constitute an important class of therapeutic agents suitable for the treatment of a wide spectrum of diseases. Therapeutic indications of biguanides include antidiabetic, antimalarial, antiviral, antiplaque, and bactericidal applications. This review presents an extensive overview of the biological activity of biguanides and different mechanisms of action of currently marketed biguanide-containing drugs, as well as their pharmacological properties when applicable. We highlight the recent developments in research on biguanide compounds, with a primary focus on studies on metformin in the field of oncology. We aim to provide a critical overview of all main bioactive biguanide compounds and discuss future perspectives for the design of new drugs based on the biguanide fragment.
CitationGrytsai O, Myrgorodska I, Rocchi S, Ronco C, Benhida R. Biguanides drugs: Past success stories and promising future for drug discovery. European Journal of Medicinal Chemistry. 2021 Nov;224:113726.
JournalEuropean Journal of Medicinal Chemistry
- Synthetic accesses to biguanide compounds.
- Authors: Grytsai O, Ronco C, Benhida R
- Issue date: 2021
- Biguanides: Species with versatile therapeutic applications.
- Authors: Kathuria D, Raul AD, Wanjari P, Bharatam PV
- Issue date: 2021 Jul 5
- Antidiabetic and antimalarial biguanide drugs are metal-interactive antiproteolytic agents.
- Authors: Sweeney D, Raymer ML, Lockwood TD
- Issue date: 2003 Aug 15
- Inhibition of Chloride Intracellular Channel 1 (CLIC1) as Biguanide Class-Effect to Impair Human Glioblastoma Stem Cell Viability.
- Authors: Barbieri F, Würth R, Pattarozzi A, Verduci I, Mazzola C, Cattaneo MG, Tonelli M, Solari A, Bajetto A, Daga A, Vicentini LM, Mazzanti M, Florio T
- Issue date: 2018
- Biguanides enhance antifungal activity against Candida glabrata.
- Authors: Xu S, Feliu M, Lord AK, Lukason DP, Negoro PE, Khan NS, Dagher Z, Feldman MB, Reedy JL, Steiger SN, Tam JM, Soukas AA, Sykes DB, Mansour MK
- Issue date: 2018