Druggable molecular alterations in bile duct cancer: potential and current therapeutic applications in clinical trials
AffiliationDepartment Of Medical Oncology, Centre Eugène Marquis, Rennes, France, France
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractIntroduction: Cholangiocarcinomas (CCA) are rare tumors that are associated with a variety of molecular alterations. Many of these alterations are now actionable using drugs currently in development, and CCA may be a perfect example of application of a precision oncology approach. However, development of drugs in CCA faces the challenge of targeting rare alterations in a rare disease.Areas covered: In this review, we present the current data on targeted therapies in development for CCA, focusing on IDH1, FGFR2, BRAF, and HER2 alterations. We also discuss rationale for targeting other alterations, currently without specific development in CCA. We searched PubMed and google scholar in February 2021 for relevant articles and presentation in recent congress regarding the literature on molecular alterations, drugs in cholangiocarcinomas and biliary tract cancers.Expert opinion: Despite a strong rationale and promising early results, applying a precision oncology approach in CCA for everyday patients is still exposed to significant challenges: obtaining the molecular portrait of these tumors due to difficulties with biopsy access, complexities of drug development in subgroups of these relatively rare tumors, and sub-optimal access to drugs outside clinical trials.
CitationBourien H, Lamarca A, McNamara MG, Hubner RA, Valle JW, Edeline J. Druggable molecular alterations in bile duct cancer: potential and current therapeutic applications in clinical trials. Expert Opinion on Investigational Drugs. 2021 Aug 22;1–9.
JournalExpert Opinion on Investigational Drugs
- Cholangiocarcinoma: shedding light on the most promising drugs in clinical development.
- Authors: Rahnemai-Azar AA, Pawlik TM
- Issue date: 2021 Apr
- Practical considerations in screening for genetic alterations in cholangiocarcinoma.
- Authors: Bekaii-Saab TS, Bridgewater J, Normanno N
- Issue date: 2021 Sep
- Molecular classification of cholangiocarcinoma.
- Authors: Louis C, Papoutsoglou P, Coulouarn C
- Issue date: 2020 Mar
- Targeting FGFR in intrahepatic cholangiocarcinoma [iCCA]: leading the way for precision medicine in biliary tract cancer [BTC]?
- Authors: Aitcheson G, Mahipal A, John BV
- Issue date: 2021 Apr
- The landscape of targeted therapies for cholangiocarcinoma: current status and emerging targets.
- Authors: Chong DQ, Zhu AX
- Issue date: 2016 Jul 19