On target: Rational approaches to KRAS inhibition for treatment of non-small cell lung carcinoma
AffiliationDivision of Cancer Sciences, University of Manchester, Manchester, UK
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractNon-small cell lung carcinoma (NSCLC) is a leading cause of cancer death. Approximately one-third of patients with NSCLC have a KRAS mutation. KRASG12C, the most common mutation, is found in ~13% of patients. While KRAS was long considered 'undruggable', several novel direct KRASG12C inhibitors have shown encouraging signs of efficacy in phase I/II trials and one of these (sotorasib) has recently been approved by the US Food and Drug Administration. This review examines the role of KRAS mutations in NSCLC and the challenges in targeting KRAS. Based on specific KRAS biology, it reports exciting progress, exploring the use of novel direct KRAS inhibitors as monotherapy or in combination with other targeted therapies, chemotherapy, and immunotherapy.
CitationLindsay CR, Garassino MC, Nadal E, Öhrling K, Scheffler M, Mazières J. On target: Rational approaches to KRAS inhibition for treatment of non-small cell lung carcinoma. Lung Cancer. 2021 Jul.
- Sotorasib: a treatment for non-small cell lung cancer with the KRAS G12C mutation.
- Authors: Zheng X, Luo J, Liu W, Ashby CR Jr, Chen ZS, Lin L
- Issue date: 2022 Apr
- Targeting KRAS in non-small-cell lung cancer: recent progress and new approaches.
- Authors: Reck M, Carbone DP, Garassino M, Barlesi F
- Issue date: 2021 Sep
- KRAS Inhibitor Resistance in MET-Amplified KRAS (G12C) Non-Small Cell Lung Cancer Induced By RAS- and Non-RAS-Mediated Cell Signaling Mechanisms.
- Authors: Suzuki S, Yonesaka K, Teramura T, Takehara T, Kato R, Sakai H, Haratani K, Tanizaki J, Kawakami H, Hayashi H, Sakai K, Nishio K, Nakagawa K
- Issue date: 2021 Oct 15
- BCL-X(L) PROTAC degrader DT2216 synergizes with sotorasib in preclinical models of KRAS(G12C)-mutated cancers.
- Authors: Khan S, Wiegand J, Zhang P, Hu W, Thummuri D, Budamagunta V, Hua N, Jin L, Allegra CJ, Kopetz SE, Zajac-Kaye M, Kaye FJ, Zheng G, Zhou D
- Issue date: 2022 Mar 9
- Editorial: Recent Approval of Sotorasib as the First Targeted Therapy for KRAS G12C-Mutated Advanced Non-Small Cell Lung Cancer (NSCLC).
- Authors: Parums DV
- Issue date: 2022 Nov 1