Adjuvanted recombinant zoster vaccine in adult autologous stem cell transplant recipients: polyfunctional immune responses and lessons for clinical practice
AuthorsStadtmauer, E. A.
Sullivan, K. M.
El Idrissi, M.
Alonso Alonso, A.
Anttila, V. J.
Dagnew, A. F.
Di Paolo, E.
González-Rodríguez, A. P.
Heineman, T. C.
Kwak, J. Y.
Polo Zarzuela, M.
Schuind, A. E.
Shea, T. C.
Sinisalo, U. M.
Yáñez San Segundo, L.
AffiliationUniversity of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia, PA, USA
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractImmunocompromised individuals, particularly autologous hematopoietic stem cell transplant (auHSCT) recipients, are at high risk for herpes zoster (HZ). We provide an in-depth description of humoral and cell-mediated immune (CMI) responses by age (protocol-defined) or underlying disease (post-hoc) as well as efficacy by underlying disease (post-hoc) of the adjuvanted recombinant zoster vaccine (RZV) in a randomized observer-blind phase III trial (ZOE-HSCT, NCT01610414). 1846 adult auHSCT recipients were randomized to receive a first dose of either RZV or placebo 50-70 days post-auHSCT, followed by the second dose at 1-2 months (M) later. In cohorts of 114-1721 participants, at 1 M post-second vaccine dose: Anti-gE antibody geometric mean concentrations (GMCs) and median gE-specific CD4[2+] T-cell frequencies (CD4 T cells expressing ≥2 of four assessed activation markers) were similar between 18-49 and ≥50-year-olds. Despite lower anti-gE antibody GMCs in non-Hodgkin B-cell lymphoma (NHBCL) patients, CD4[2+] T-cell frequencies were similar between NHBCL and other underlying diseases. The proportion of polyfunctional CD4 T cells increased over time, accounting for 79.6% of gE-specific CD4 T cells at 24 M post-dose two. Vaccine efficacy against HZ ranged between 42.5% and 82.5% across underlying diseases and was statistically significant in NHBCL and multiple myeloma patients. In conclusion, two RZV doses administered early post-auHSCT induced robust, persistent, and polyfunctional gE-specific immune responses. Efficacy against HZ was also high in NHBCL patients despite the lower humoral response.
CitationStadtmauer EA, Sullivan KM, El Idrissi M, Salaun B, Alonso Alonso A, Andreadis C, et al. Adjuvanted recombinant zoster vaccine in adult autologous stem cell transplant recipients: polyfunctional immune responses and lessons for clinical practice. Human Vaccines & Immunotherapeutics. 2021 Aug 18;1–11.
JournalHuman Vaccines and Immunotherapeutics
- Immunogenicity and safety of the adjuvanted recombinant zoster vaccine in adults with haematological malignancies: a phase 3, randomised, clinical trial and post-hoc efficacy analysis.
- Authors: Dagnew AF, Ilhan O, Lee WS, Woszczyk D, Kwak JY, Bowcock S, Sohn SK, Rodriguez Macías G, Chiou TJ, Quiel D, Aoun M, Navarro Matilla MB, de la Serna J, Milliken S, Murphy J, McNeil SA, Salaun B, Di Paolo E, Campora L, López-Fauqued M, El Idrissi M, Schuind A, Heineman TC, Van den Steen P, Oostvogels L, Zoster-039 study group
- Issue date: 2019 Sep
- Safety Profile of the Adjuvanted Recombinant Zoster Vaccine in Immunocompromised Populations: An Overview of Six Trials.
- Authors: López-Fauqued M, Co-van der Mee M, Bastidas A, Beukelaers P, Dagnew AF, Fernandez Garcia JJ, Schuind A, Tavares-da-Silva F
- Issue date: 2021 Jul
- Immune responses to the adjuvanted recombinant zoster vaccine in immunocompromised adults: a comprehensive overview.
- Authors: Dagnew AF, Vink P, Drame M, Willer DO, Salaun B, Schuind AE
- Issue date: 2021 Nov 2
- The Adjuvanted Recombinant Zoster Vaccine Confers Long-Term Protection Against Herpes Zoster: Interim Results of an Extension Study of the Pivotal Phase 3 Clinical Trials ZOE-50 and ZOE-70.
- Authors: Boutry C, Hastie A, Diez-Domingo J, Tinoco JC, Yu CJ, Andrews C, Beytout J, Caso C, Cheng HS, Cheong HJ, Choo EJ, Curiac D, Di Paolo E, Dionne M, Eckermann T, Esen M, Ferguson M, Ghesquiere W, Hwang SJ, Avelino-Silva TJ, Kosina P, Liu CS, Markkula J, Moeckesch B, Murta de Oliveira C, Park DW, Pauksens K, Pirrotta P, Plassmann G, Pretswell C, Rombo L, Salaun B, Sanmartin Berglund J, Schenkenberger I, Schwarz T, Shi M, Ukkonen B, Zahaf T, Zerbini C, Schuind A, Cunningham AL, Zoster-049 Study Group
- Issue date: 2022 Apr 28
- The Adjuvanted Recombinant Zoster Vaccine in Adults Aged ≥65 Years Previously Vaccinated With a Live-Attenuated Herpes Zoster Vaccine.
- Authors: Dagnew AF, Klein NP, Hervé C, Kalema G, Di Paolo E, Peterson J, Salaun B, Schuind A
- Issue date: 2021 Oct 13