Systematic roadmap for cancer drug screening using zebrafish embryo xenograft cancer models: melanoma cell line as a case study
AffiliationIkan Biotech SL, Centro Europeo de Empresas e Innovación de Navarra (CEIN), 31110 Noain, Spain
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractZebrafish embryo tumor transplant models are widely utilized in cancer research. Compared with traditional murine models, the small size and transparency of zebrafish embryos combined with large clutch sizes that increase statistical power and cheap husbandry make them a cost-effective and versatile tool for in vivo drug discovery. However, the lack of a comprehensive analysis of key factors impacting the successful use of these models impedes the establishment of basic guidelines for systematic screening campaigns. Thus, we explored the following crucial factors: (i) user-independent inclusion criteria, focusing on sample homogeneity; (ii) metric definition for data analysis; (iii) tumor engraftment criteria; (iv) image analysis versus quantification of human cancer cells using qPCR (RNA and gDNA); (v) tumor implantation sites; (vi) compound distribution (intratumoral administration versus alternative inoculation sites); and (vii) efficacy (intratumoral microinjection versus compound solution in media). Based on these analyses and corresponding assessments, we propose the first roadmap for systematic drug discovery screening in zebrafish xenograft cancer models using a melanoma cell line as a case study. This study aims to help the wider cancer research community to consider the adoption of this versatile model for cancer drug screening projects.
CitationLetrado P, Mole H, Montoya M, Palacios I, Barriuso J, Hurlstone A, et al. Systematic Roadmap for Cancer Drug Screening Using Zebrafish Embryo Xenograft Cancer Models: Melanoma Cell Line as a Case Study. Cancers. 2021 Jul 23;13(15):3705.
- ARQiv-HTS, a versatile whole-organism screening platform enabling in vivo drug discovery at high-throughput rates.
- Authors: White DT, Eroglu AU, Wang G, Zhang L, Sengupta S, Ding D, Rajpurohit SK, Walker SL, Ji H, Qian J, Mumm JS
- Issue date: 2016 Dec
- ZeOncoTest: Refining and Automating the Zebrafish Xenograft Model for Drug Discovery in Cancer.
- Authors: Cornet C, Dyballa S, Terriente J, Di Giacomo V
- Issue date: 2019 Dec 24
- Modeling of human uveal melanoma in zebrafish xenograft embryos.
- Authors: van der Ent W, Burrello C, Teunisse AF, Ksander BR, van der Velden PA, Jager MJ, Jochemsen AG, Snaar-Jagalska BE
- Issue date: 2014 Sep 23
- Zebrafish Embryo Xenograft and Metastasis Assay.
- Authors: Paatero I, Alve S, Gramolelli S, Ivaska J, Ojala PM
- Issue date: 2018 Sep 20
- PCR-based zebrafish model for personalised medicine in head and neck cancer.
- Authors: Al-Samadi A, Tuomainen K, Kivimäki A, Salem A, Al-Kubati S, Hyytiäinen A, Parikka M, Mesimäki K, Wilkman T, Mäkitie A, Grenman R, Salo T
- Issue date: 2019 Jul 22