AuthorsMillen, G. C.
Cazier, J. B.
Grundy, R. G.
Lee, L. Y. W.
McCabe, Martin G
Stiller, C. A.
AffiliationCancer Research UK Clinical Trials Unit, University of Birmingham Institute of Cancer and Genomic Sciences, Birmingham, UK
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractBackground: Children with cancer are not at increased risk of severe SARS-CoV-2 infection; however, adults with haematological malignancies have increased risk of severe infections compared with non-haematological malignancies. Methods: We compared patients with haematological and non-haematological malignancies enrolled in the UK Paediatric Coronavirus Cancer Monitoring Project between 12 March 2020 and 16 February 2021. Children who received stem cell transplantation were excluded. Results: Only 2/62 patients with haematological malignancy had severe/critical infections, with an OR of 0.5 for patients with haematological compared with non-haematological malignancies. Interpretation: Children with haematological malignancies are at no greater risk of severe SARS-CoV-2 infection than those with non-haematological malignancies.
CitationMillen GC, Arnold R, Cazier J-B, Curley H, Feltbower R, Gamble A, et al. COVID-19 in children with haematological malignancies. Arch Dis Child. 2021 Jul 22;archdischild-2021-322062.
JournalArchives of Disease in Childhood
- Immunogenicity of the BNT162b2 COVID-19 mRNA vaccine and early clinical outcomes in patients with haematological malignancies in Lithuania: a national prospective cohort study.
- Authors: Maneikis K, Šablauskas K, Ringelevičiūtė U, Vaitekėnaitė V, Čekauskienė R, Kryžauskaitė L, Naumovas D, Banys V, Pečeliūnas V, Beinortas T, Griškevičius L
- Issue date: 2021 Aug
- Clinical characteristics and risk factors associated with COVID-19 severity in patients with haematological malignancies in Italy: a retrospective, multicentre, cohort study.
- Authors: Passamonti F, Cattaneo C, Arcaini L, Bruna R, Cavo M, Merli F, Angelucci E, Krampera M, Cairoli R, Della Porta MG, Fracchiolla N, Ladetto M, Gambacorti Passerini C, Salvini M, Marchetti M, Lemoli R, Molteni A, Busca A, Cuneo A, Romano A, Giuliani N, Galimberti S, Corso A, Morotti A, Falini B, Billio A, Gherlinzoni F, Visani G, Tisi MC, Tafuri A, Tosi P, Lanza F, Massaia M, Turrini M, Ferrara F, Gurrieri C, Vallisa D, Martelli M, Derenzini E, Guarini A, Conconi A, Cuccaro A, Cudillo L, Russo D, Ciambelli F, Scattolin AM, Luppi M, Selleri C, Ortu La Barbera E, Ferrandina C, Di Renzo N, Olivieri A, Bocchia M, Gentile M, Marchesi F, Musto P, Federici AB, Candoni A, Venditti A, Fava C, Pinto A, Galieni P, Rigacci L, Armiento D, Pane F, Oberti M, Zappasodi P, Visco C, Franchi M, Grossi PA, Bertù L, Corrao G, Pagano L, Corradini P, ITA-HEMA-COV Investigators.
- Issue date: 2020 Oct
- ASH Registry Offers Insights on COVID-19 in Patients with Hematologic Malignancies.
- Issue date: 2021 Feb
- Global characteristics and outcomes of SARS-CoV-2 infection in children and adolescents with cancer (GRCCC): a cohort study.
- Authors: Mukkada S, Bhakta N, Chantada GL, Chen Y, Vedaraju Y, Faughnan L, Homsi MR, Muniz-Talavera H, Ranadive R, Metzger M, Friedrich P, Agulnik A, Jeha S, Lam C, Dalvi R, Hessissen L, Moreira DC, Santana VM, Sullivan M, Bouffet E, Caniza MA, Devidas M, Pritchard-Jones K, Rodriguez-Galindo C, Global Registry of COVID-19 in Childhood Cancer.
- Issue date: 2021 Oct
- Clinical profile and outcome of COVID-19 in haematological malignancies: experience from tertiary care centre in India.
- Authors: Gupta A, Desai N, Sanjeev, Chauhan P, Nityanand S, Hashim Z, Gupta M
- Issue date: 2022 Jan