AuthorsMillen, G. C.
Cazier, J. B.
Grundy, R. G.
Lee, L. Y. W.
McCabe, Martin G
Stiller, C. A.
AffiliationCancer Research UK Clinical Trials Unit, University of Birmingham Institute of Cancer and Genomic Sciences, Birmingham, UK
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractBackground: Children with cancer are not at increased risk of severe SARS-CoV-2 infection; however, adults with haematological malignancies have increased risk of severe infections compared with non-haematological malignancies. Methods: We compared patients with haematological and non-haematological malignancies enrolled in the UK Paediatric Coronavirus Cancer Monitoring Project between 12 March 2020 and 16 February 2021. Children who received stem cell transplantation were excluded. Results: Only 2/62 patients with haematological malignancy had severe/critical infections, with an OR of 0.5 for patients with haematological compared with non-haematological malignancies. Interpretation: Children with haematological malignancies are at no greater risk of severe SARS-CoV-2 infection than those with non-haematological malignancies.
CitationMillen GC, Arnold R, Cazier J-B, Curley H, Feltbower R, Gamble A, et al. COVID-19 in children with haematological malignancies. Arch Dis Child. 2021 Jul 22;archdischild-2021-322062.
JournalArchives of Disease in Childhood
- Clinical characteristics and risk factors associated with COVID-19 severity in patients with haematological malignancies in Italy: a retrospective, multicentre, cohort study.
- Authors: Passamonti F, Cattaneo C, Arcaini L, Bruna R, Cavo M, Merli F, Angelucci E, Krampera M, Cairoli R, Della Porta MG, Fracchiolla N, Ladetto M, Gambacorti Passerini C, Salvini M, Marchetti M, Lemoli R, Molteni A, Busca A, Cuneo A, Romano A, Giuliani N, Galimberti S, Corso A, Morotti A, Falini B, Billio A, Gherlinzoni F, Visani G, Tisi MC, Tafuri A, Tosi P, Lanza F, Massaia M, Turrini M, Ferrara F, Gurrieri C, Vallisa D, Martelli M, Derenzini E, Guarini A, Conconi A, Cuccaro A, Cudillo L, Russo D, Ciambelli F, Scattolin AM, Luppi M, Selleri C, Ortu La Barbera E, Ferrandina C, Di Renzo N, Olivieri A, Bocchia M, Gentile M, Marchesi F, Musto P, Federici AB, Candoni A, Venditti A, Fava C, Pinto A, Galieni P, Rigacci L, Armiento D, Pane F, Oberti M, Zappasodi P, Visco C, Franchi M, Grossi PA, Bertù L, Corrao G, Pagano L, Corradini P, ITA-HEMA-COV Investigators.
- Issue date: 2020 Oct
- COVID-19 prevalence and mortality in patients with cancer and the effect of primary tumour subtype and patient demographics: a prospective cohort study.
- Authors: Lee LYW, Cazier JB, Starkey T, Briggs SEW, Arnold R, Bisht V, Booth S, Campton NA, Cheng VWT, Collins G, Curley HM, Earwaker P, Fittall MW, Gennatas S, Goel A, Hartley S, Hughes DJ, Kerr D, Lee AJX, Lee RJ, Lee SM, Mckenzie H, Middleton CP, Murugaesu N, Newsom-Davis T, Olsson-Brown AC, Palles C, Powles T, Protheroe EA, Purshouse K, Sharma-Oates A, Sivakumar S, Smith AJ, Topping O, Turnbull CD, Várnai C, Briggs ADM, Middleton G, Kerr R, UK Coronavirus Cancer Monitoring Project Team.
- Issue date: 2020 Oct
- Haematological cancers and the risk of severe COVID-19: Exploration and critical evaluation of the evidence to date.
- Authors: El-Sharkawi D, Iyengar S
- Issue date: 2020 Aug
- Haematological malignancy and nosocomial transmission are associated with an increased risk of death from COVID-19: results of a multi-center UK cohort.
- Authors: Bhogal T, Khan UT, Lee R, Stockdale A, Hesford C, Potti-Dhananjaya V, Jathanna A, Rahman S, Tivey A, Shotton R, Sundar R, Valerio C, Norouzi A, Walker P, Suckling R, Armstrong A, Brearton G, Pettitt A, Kalakonda N, Palmer DH, Jackson R, Turtle L, Palmieri C
- Issue date: 2021 Jul
- Clinical course and risk factors for mortality from COVID-19 in patients with haematological malignancies.
- Authors: Sanchez-Pina JM, Rodríguez Rodriguez M, Castro Quismondo N, Gil Manso R, Colmenares R, Gil Alos D, Paciello ML, Zafra D, Garcia-Sanchez C, Villegas C, Cuellar C, Carreño-Tarragona G, Zamanillo I, Poza M, Iñiguez R, Gutierrez X, Alonso R, Rodríguez A, Folgueira MD, Delgado R, Ferrari JM, Lizasoain M, Aguado JM, Ayala R, Martinez-Lopez J, Calbacho M
- Issue date: 2020 Nov