Preservation of quality of life in patients with human epidermal growth factor receptor 2-positive metastatic breast cancer treated with tucatinib or placebo when added to trastuzumab and capecitabine (HER2CLIMB trial)
Wardley, Andrew M
Harder Brix, E.
Arkenau, H. T.
AffiliationDepartment of Gynecology, University Medical Center Hamburg-Eppendorf, Hamburg, Germany.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractAims: In HER2CLIMB, tucatinib significantly improved progression-free and overall survival in patients with human epidermal growth factor receptor 2-positive (HER2+) metastatic breast cancer. We evaluated the impact of tucatinib on health-related quality of life (HR-QoL) in HER2CLIMB. Methods: Patients were randomised 2:1 to tucatinib or placebo combined with trastuzumab and capecitabine. Starting with protocol version 7, the EuroQol 5 Dimensions 5 Levels (EQ-5D-5L) questionnaire and EQ visual analogue scale (VAS) were administered at day 1 of cycle 1, every two cycles during cycles 3-9, every three cycles during cycle 12 and thereafter and at each patient's 30-day follow-up visit. Results: Among 364 patients eligible for HR-QoL assessment, 331 (91%) completed ≥1 assessment. EQ-VAS scores were similar for both arms at baseline and maintained throughout treatment. EQ-5D-5L scores were similar between the treatment arms, stable throughout therapy and worsened after discontinuing treatment. Risk of meaningful deterioration (≥7 points) on EQ-VAS was reduced 19% in the tucatinib vs. placebo arm (hazard ratio [HR]: 0.81; 95% confidence interval [CI]: 0.55, 1.18); the median (95% CI) time to deterioration was not reached in the tucatinib arm and was 5.8 months (4.3, -) in the placebo arm. Among patients with brain metastases (n = 164), risk of meaningful deterioration on EQ-VAS was reduced 49% in the tucatinib arm (HR: 0.51; 95% CI: 0.28, 0.93); the median (95% CI) time to deterioration was not reached in the tucatinib arm and was 5.5 months (4.2, -) in the placebo arm. Conclusions: HR-QoL was preserved for patients with HER2+ metastatic breast cancer who were treated with tucatinib added to trastuzumab and capecitabine and maintained longer with tucatinib therapy than without it among those with brain metastases.
CitationMueller V, Wardley A, Paplomata E, Hamilton E, Zelnak A, Fehrenbacher L, et al. Preservation of quality of life in patients with human epidermal growth factor receptor 2–positive metastatic breast cancer treated with tucatinib or placebo when added to trastuzumab and capecitabine (HER2CLIMB trial). European Journal of Cancer. 2021 Aug;153:223–33.
JournalEuropean Journal of Cancer
- Tucatinib versus placebo added to trastuzumab and capecitabine for patients with pretreated HER2+ metastatic breast cancer with and without brain metastases (HER2CLIMB): final overall survival analysis.
- Authors: Curigliano G, Mueller V, Borges V, Hamilton E, Hurvitz S, Loi S, Murthy R, Okines A, Paplomata E, Cameron D, Carey LA, Gelmon K, Hortobagyi GN, Krop I, Loibl S, Pegram M, Slamon D, Ramos J, Feng W, Winer E
- Issue date: 2022 Mar
- Efficacy of tucatinib for HER2-positive metastatic breast cancer after HER2-targeted therapy: a network meta-analysis.
- Authors: DeBusk K, Abeysinghe S, Vickers A, Nangia A, Bell J, Ike C, Forero-Torres A, Blahna MT
- Issue date: 2021 Nov
- Tucatinib, Trastuzumab, and Capecitabine for HER2-Positive Metastatic Breast Cancer.
- Authors: Murthy RK, Loi S, Okines A, Paplomata E, Hamilton E, Hurvitz SA, Lin NU, Borges V, Abramson V, Anders C, Bedard PL, Oliveira M, Jakobsen E, Bachelot T, Shachar SS, Müller V, Braga S, Duhoux FP, Greil R, Cameron D, Carey LA, Curigliano G, Gelmon K, Hortobagyi G, Krop I, Loibl S, Pegram M, Slamon D, Palanca-Wessels MC, Walker L, Feng W, Winer EP
- Issue date: 2020 Feb 13
- Intracranial Efficacy and Survival With Tucatinib Plus Trastuzumab and Capecitabine for Previously Treated HER2-Positive Breast Cancer With Brain Metastases in the HER2CLIMB Trial.
- Authors: Lin NU, Borges V, Anders C, Murthy RK, Paplomata E, Hamilton E, Hurvitz S, Loi S, Okines A, Abramson V, Bedard PL, Oliveira M, Mueller V, Zelnak A, DiGiovanna MP, Bachelot T, Chien AJ, O'Regan R, Wardley A, Conlin A, Cameron D, Carey L, Curigliano G, Gelmon K, Loibl S, Mayor J, McGoldrick S, An X, Winer EP
- Issue date: 2020 Aug 10
- Tucatinib with capecitabine and trastuzumab in advanced HER2-positive metastatic breast cancer with and without brain metastases: a non-randomised, open-label, phase 1b study.
- Authors: Murthy R, Borges VF, Conlin A, Chaves J, Chamberlain M, Gray T, Vo A, Hamilton E
- Issue date: 2018 Jul