Regulatory and functional involvement of long non-coding RNAs in DNA double-strand break repair mechanisms
Gorgoulis, Vassilis G
AffiliationMolecular Carcinogenesis Group, Department of Histology and Embryology, Medical School, National Kapodistrian University of Athens (NKUA), 75 Mikras Asias Str., Goudi, GR-11527 Athens, Greece.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractProtection of genome integrity is vital for all living organisms, particularly when DNA double-strand breaks (DSBs) occur. Eukaryotes have developed two main pathways, namely Non-Homologous End Joining (NHEJ) and Homologous Recombination (HR), to repair DSBs. While most of the current research is focused on the role of key protein players in the functional regulation of DSB repair pathways, accumulating evidence has uncovered a novel class of regulating factors termed non-coding RNAs. Non-coding RNAs have been found to hold a pivotal role in the activation of DSB repair mechanisms, thereby safeguarding genomic stability. In particular, long non-coding RNAs (lncRNAs) have begun to emerge as new players with vast therapeutic potential. This review summarizes important advances in the field of lncRNAs, including characterization of recently identified lncRNAs, and their implication in DSB repair pathways in the context of tumorigenesis.
CitationPapaspyropoulos A, Lagopati N, Mourkioti I, Angelopoulou A, Kyriazis S, Liontos M, et al. Regulatory and Functional Involvement of Long Non-Coding RNAs in DNA Double-Strand Break Repair Mechanisms. Cells. 2021 Jun 15;10(6):1506.
- Regulation of DNA Double-Strand Break Repair by Non-Coding RNAs.
- Authors: Thapar R
- Issue date: 2018 Oct 27
- Analysis of chromatid-break-repair detects a homologous recombination to non-homologous end-joining switch with increasing load of DNA double-strand breaks.
- Authors: Murmann-Konda T, Soni A, Stuschke M, Iliakis G
- Issue date: 2021 Jul
- Role of deubiquitinating enzymes in DNA double-strand break repair.
- Authors: Li Y, Yuan J
- Issue date: 2021 Jan 15
- A Stochastic Model of DNA Double-Strand Breaks Repair Throughout the Cell Cycle.
- Authors: Mohseni-Salehi FS, Zare-Mirakabad F, Sadeghi M, Ghafouri-Fard S
- Issue date: 2020 Jan 14
- RIF1 Links Replication Timing with Fork Reactivation and DNA Double-Strand Break Repair.
- Authors: Blasiak J, Szczepańska J, Sobczuk A, Fila M, Pawlowska E
- Issue date: 2021 Oct 23