Evolution of superficial spreading melanoma to resemble desmoplastic melanoma: case report
AffiliationDepartment of Histopathology, Royal Surrey County Hospital, Egerton Road, Guildford, GU2 7XX, UK.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractDesmoplastic melanoma commonly occurs on the head and neck in a pure form, but occasionally, it occurs in a mixed tumor with another type, usually superficial spreading melanoma (SSM), and rarely as a metastasis from a primary SSM. We report here a primary SSM on the leg of a 32-year-old male which metastasised to lymph nodes, and 10 years later recurred at the primary site initially with mixed features but evolving to resemble a uniformly desmoplastic, deeply invasive melanoma. This unusual case has implications for clinical management and is additionally notable for its reversal in behavior, from metastatic to local infiltrative type, correlating with the change in morphology.
CitationCook MG, Powell BWEM, Grant ME, Green AC. Evolution of superficial spreading melanoma to resemble desmoplastic melanoma: case report. Virchows Arch. 2021 Jul 20.
- Differences between pure desmoplastic melanoma and superficial spreading melanoma in terms of survival, distribution and other clinicopathologic features.
- Authors: Howard MD, Wee E, Wolfe R, McLean CA, Kelly JW, Pan Y
- Issue date: 2019 Oct
- Metastatic Melanoma With Features of Desmoplastic Melanoma in a Patient With Primary Cutaneous Superficial Spreading Melanoma With Epithelioid Features.
- Authors: Modi MB, Moshiri AS, Klein WM, Karakousis G, Shafique K, Xu X
- Issue date: 2021 May 1
- Desmoplastic malignant melanoma. A clinicohistopathologic study of 25 cases.
- Authors: Egbert B, Kempson R, Sagebiel R
- Issue date: 1988 Nov 1
- Desmoplastic melanoma: patterns of recurrence.
- Authors: Smithers BM, McLeod GR, Little JH
- Issue date: 1992 Mar-Apr
- Desmoplastic neurotropic melanoma. A clinicopathologic analysis of 28 cases.
- Authors: Carlson JA, Dickersin GR, Sober AJ, Barnhill RL
- Issue date: 1995 Jan 15