The use of penile traction devices for Peyronie's Disease: position statements from the European society for sexual medicine
Parnham, Arie S
Serefoglu, E. C.
AffiliationDepartamento de Urología, Hospital Universitario HM Montepríncipe, HM Hospitales. Universidad San Pablo-CEU, Madrid, Spain
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractIntroduction: Penile traction therapy (PTT) aims to non-surgically reduce curvature, enhance girth, and recover lost length. Available clinical practice guidelines however lack clear recommendations regarding their use. Aim: To present a comprehensive review and recommendation regarding the available evidence to the use of PTT in Peyronie's disease (PD). Methods: A systematic literature search was performed on Pubmed and Medline for relevant studies from all times until 2019. Studies of PTT (monotherapy and in combination) in patients with PD with any documented degree of curvature and in either the acute or chronic phase of the disease were included. Full texts not published in English language were excluded. Main outcomes measures: Several scenarios, including preclinical data have been investigated. For each topic covered evidence was analyzed and expert opinion was stated. Results: The paucity of high-level studies precluded any strong recommendations, however, specific statements on this topic, summarizing the ESSM position, were provided. The available data about the use of PTT in PD are still poor, and the impact of this therapy for the treatment of PD has not been clearly stablished. Available data in the clinical setting are still poor, and the impact of these devices on PD evolution has not been clearly established. Conclusion: PTT seems to be a valid treatment option for PD, although there is not enough evidence to give any definitive recommendation in any clinical scenario.
CitationGarcía-Gómez B, Aversa A, Alonso-Isa M, Parnham A, Serefoglu EC, Corona G, et al. The Use of Penile Traction Devices for Peyronie’s Disease: Position Statements from the European Society for Sexual Medicine. Sexual Medicine. 2021 Aug;9(4):100387.
- Penile Traction Therapy and Vacuum Erection Devices in Peyronie's Disease.
- Authors: Avant RA, Ziegelmann M, Nehra A, Alom M, Kohler T, Trost L
- Issue date: 2019 Apr
- Outcomes of RestoreX Penile Traction Therapy in Men With Peyronie's Disease: Results From Open Label and Follow-up Phases.
- Authors: Joseph J, Ziegelmann MJ, Alom M, Savage J, Köhler TS, Trost L
- Issue date: 2020 Dec
- Efficacy of Combined Collagenase Clostridium histolyticum and RestoreX Penile Traction Therapy in Men with Peyronie's Disease.
- Authors: Alom M, Sharma KL, Toussi A, Kohler T, Trost L
- Issue date: 2019 Jun
- Emerging Roles of Penile Traction Therapy and Vacuum Erectile Devices.
- Authors: Mehr J, Santarelli S, Green TP, Beetz J, Panuganti S, Wang R
- Issue date: 2022 Jul
- Penile Stretching as a Treatment for Peyronie's Disease: A Review.
- Authors: Cowper MG, Burkett CB, Le TV, Scherzer N, Hellstrom WJG
- Issue date: 2019 Jul