de Mello, R. A.
AffiliationRadiotherapy Department, Theagenio Anticancer Hospital of Thessaloniki, Thessaloniki, Greece.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractCutaneous sarcomas are a heterogeneous group of rare mesenchymal neoplasms representing less than 1% of malignant tumors. Histology report remains the cornerstone for the diagnosis of these tumors. The most important clinicopathologic parameters related to prognosis include larger tumor size, high mitotic index, head and neck location, p53 mutations, depth of infiltration and histological grade, vascular and perineural invasion as well as the surgical margins status. Applying advanced biopsy techniques might offer more precise assessment of surgical margins, which constitutes a significant precondition for the management of these tumors. The management of cutaneous soft tissue sarcomas requires a multidisciplinary approach. Surgery remains the standard treatment, nonetheless adjuvant therapy may be required, consisting of radiotherapy, chemotherapy, and molecular targeted therapies to improve treatment outcomes. The role of molecular profiling in the treatment of uncontrolled disease is promising, but it may be offered to a relatively small proportion of patients and its use is still considered experimental in this setting. Due to the rarity of the disease, there is a need for knowledge and experience to be shared, pooled, organized and rationalized so that recent developments in medical science can have a major impact on the disease course. Multicenter clinical trials are needed to improve the care of patients with cutaneous sarcomas.
CitationGkantaifi A, Diamantis A, Mauri D, Nixon I, Kyriazoglou A, Baloyiannis I, et al. Cutaneous soft tissue sarcomas: survival-related factors. Arch Dermatol Res. 2021 Jul 17.
JournalArchives of Dermatological Research
- Sarcomas of the head and neck.
- Authors: Potter BO, Sturgis EM
- Issue date: 2003 Apr
- Head and neck sarcomas in adulthood: current trends and evolving management concepts.
- Authors: Kalavrezos N, Sinha D
- Issue date: 2020 Oct
- Re-excision after unplanned excision of soft tissue sarcomas: Long-term results.
- Authors: Scoccianti G, Innocenti M, Frenos F, Muratori F, Sacchetti F, Beltrami G, Capanna R, Campanacci DA
- Issue date: 2020 Sep
- The value of adjuvant chemotherapy in the management of sarcomas in children.
- Authors: Donaldson SS
- Issue date: 1985 May 1
- Local management of adult soft tissue sarcomas.
- Authors: Swallow CJ, Catton CN
- Issue date: 2007 Jun