Clinical and immunologic implications of COVID-19 in patients with melanoma and renal cell carcinoma receiving immune checkpoint inhibitors
AffiliationDepartment of Medicine, Roswell Park Comprehensive Cancer Center, Buffalo, New York, USA.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractThe clinical and immunologic implications of the SARS-CoV-2 pandemic for patients with cancer receiving systemic anticancer therapy have introduced a multitude of clinical challenges and academic controversies. This review summarizes the current evidence, discussion points, and recommendations regarding the use of immune checkpoint inhibitors (ICIs) in patients with cancer during the SARS-CoV-2 pandemic, with a focus on patients with melanoma and renal cell carcinoma (RCC). More specifically, we summarize the theoretical concepts and available objective data regarding the relationships between ICIs and the antiviral immune response, along with recommended clinical approaches to the management of melanoma and RCC patient cohorts receiving ICIs throughout the course of the COVID-19 pandemic. Additional insights regarding the use of ICIs in the setting of current and upcoming COVID-19 vaccines and broader implications toward future pandemics are also discussed.
CitationSwitzer B, Haanen J, Lorigan PC, Puzanov I, Turajlic S. Clinical and immunologic implications of COVID-19 in patients with melanoma and renal cell carcinoma receiving immune checkpoint inhibitors. J Immunother Cancer. 2021 Jul;9(7):e002835.
JournalJournal for Immunotherapy of Cancer
- Indications for and contraindications of immune checkpoint inhibitors in cancer patients with COVID-19 vaccination.
- Authors: Luo B, Li J, Hou X, Yang Q, Zhou Y, Ye J, Wu X, Feng Y, Hu T, Xu Z, He Y, Sun J
- Issue date: 2021 Sep
- Overlap of immunotherapy-related pneumonitis and COVID-19 pneumonia: diagnostic and vaccine considerations.
- Authors: Abid MB
- Issue date: 2021 Apr
- Immune checkpoint inhibitors increase T cell immunity during SARS-CoV-2 infection.
- Authors: Yatim N, Boussier J, Tetu P, Smith N, Bruel T, Charbit B, Barnabei L, Corneau A, Da Meda L, Allayous C, Baroudjian B, Jebali M, Herms F, Grzelak L, Staropoli I, Calmettes V, Hadjadj J, Peyrony O, Cassius C, LeGoff J, Kramkimel N, Aractingi S, Fontes M, Blanc C, Rieux-Laucat F, Schwartz O, Terrier B, Duffy D, Lebbé C
- Issue date: 2021 Aug
- Influenza vaccination in cancer patients receiving immune checkpoint inhibitors: A systematic review.
- Authors: Spagnolo F, Boutros A, Croce E, Cecchi F, Arecco L, Tanda E, Pronzato P, Lambertini M
- Issue date: 2021 Jul
- Immunotherapy may protect cancer patients from SARS-CoV-2 infection: a single-center retrospective analysis.
- Authors: Isgrò MA, Vitale MG, Celentano E, Nocerino F, Porciello G, Curvietto M, Mallardo D, Montagnese C, Russo L, Zanaletti N, Avallone A, Pensabene M, De Laurentiis M, Centonze S, Pignata S, Cannella L, Morabito A, Caponigro F, Botti G, Masucci GV, Giannarelli D, Cavalcanti E, Ascierto PA
- Issue date: 2021 Mar 31