AffiliationThe Christie NHS Foundation Trust, Wilmslow Road, M20 4BX, UK.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractAdvances in research have transformed the management of melanoma in the past decade. In parallel, patient advocacy has gained traction, and funders are increasingly prioritizing patient and public involvement. Here we discuss the ways in which patients and the public can be engaged in different stages of the research process, from developing, prioritizing and refining the research question to preclinical studies and clinical trials, then finally to ongoing research in the clinic. We discuss the challenges and opportunities that exist at each stage in order to ensure that a representative population of patients and the public contribute to melanoma research both now and in the future
CitationTivey A, Huddar P, Shotton R, Cheese I, Daniels S, Lorigan P, et al. Patient engagement in melanoma research: from bench to bedside. Future Oncology. 2021 Jul 2.
- Learning to work together - lessons from a reflective analysis of a research project on public involvement.
- Authors: Howe A, Mathie E, Munday D, Cowe M, Goodman C, Keenan J, Kendall S, Poland F, Staniszewska S, Wilson P
- Issue date: 2017
- Patient engagement in fertility research: bench research, ethics, and social justice.
- Authors: Fleming PR, Swygert MM, Hasenkamp C, Sterling J, Cartee G, Russ-Sellers R, Cozad M, Chosed RJ, Roudebush WE, Kennedy AB
- Issue date: 2021 May 12
- Understanding and optimising patient and public involvement in trial oversight: an ethnographic study of eight clinical trials.
- Authors: Coulman KD, Nicholson A, Shaw A, Daykin A, Selman LE, Macefield R, Shorter GW, Cramer H, Sydes MR, Gamble C, Pick ME, Taylor G, Lane JA
- Issue date: 2020 Jun 18
- A patient and public involvement (PPI) toolkit for meaningful and flexible involvement in clinical trials - a work in progress.
- Authors: Bagley HJ, Short H, Harman NL, Hickey HR, Gamble CL, Woolfall K, Young B, Williamson PR
- Issue date: 2016
- Community engagement and involvement in Ghana: conversations with community stakeholders to inform surgical research.
- Authors: Kroese K, Ofori BA, Abdulai DR, Monahan M, Prah A, Tabiri S
- Issue date: 2021 Jul 5