Development and results of a patient-reported treatment experience questionnaire on a 1.5 T MR-Linac
Møller, P. K.
Nowee, M. E.
van Triest, B.
AffiliationRoyal Marsden NHS Foundation Trust, United Kingdom.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractIntroduction: With the implementation of new radiotherapy technology, it is imperative that patient experience is investigated alongside efficacy and outcomes. This paper presents the development of a specifically designed validated questionnaire and a first report of international multi-institutional preliminary patient experience of MRI-guided adaptive radiotherapy (MRgART) on the 1.5 T MR-Linac (MRL). Methods: A patient experience questionnaire was developed and validated before being distributed to the Elekta MRL Consortium, to gather first patient-reported experience from participating centres worldwide. The final version of the questionnaire contains 18 questions covering a range of themes and was scored on a Likert scale of 0-3. Responses were post-processed so that a score of 0 represents a negative response and 3 represents the most favourable response. These results were analysed for patient-reported experience of treatment on the MRL. Results were also analysed for internal consistency of the questionnaire using Chronbach's Alpha and the questionnaire contents were validated for relevance using content validity indexes (CVI). Results: 170 responses were received from five centres, representing patients with a wide range of tumour treatment sites from four different countries. MRgART was well tolerated with an 84% favourable response across all questions and respondents. When analysed by theme, all reported the highest percentage of results in the favourable categories (2 and 3). Internal consistency in the questionnaire was high (Cronbach's α = 0.8) and the item-level CVI for each question was 0.78 or above and the Scale-level CVI was 0.93, representing relevant content. Conclusion: The developed questionnaire has been validated as relevant and appropriate for use in reporting experience of patients undergoing treatment on the MRL. The overall patient-reported experience and satisfaction from multiple centres within the Elekta MRL Consortium was consistently high. These results can reinforce user confidence in continuing to expand and develop MRL use in adaptive radiotherapy.
CitationBarnes H, Alexander S, Bower L, Ehlers J, Gani C, Herbert T, et al. Development and results of a patient-reported treatment experience questionnaire on a 1.5 T MR-Linac. Clinical and Translational Radiation Oncology. 2021 Sep;30:31–7.
JournalClinical and Translational Radiation Oncology
- Prospective Image Quality and Lesion Assessment in the Setting of MR-Guided Radiation Therapy of Prostate Cancer on an MR-Linac at 1.5 T: A Comparison to a Standard 3 T MRI.
- Authors: Almansour H, Afat S, Fritz V, Schick F, Nachbar M, Thorwarth D, Zips D, Müller AC, Nikolaou K, Othman AE, Wegener D
- Issue date: 2021 Mar 26
- Daily adaptive radiotherapy for patients with prostate cancer using a high field MR-linac: Initial clinical experiences and assessment of delivered doses compared to a C-arm linac.
- Authors: Dunlop A, Mitchell A, Tree A, Barnes H, Bower L, Chick J, Goodwin E, Herbert T, Lawes R, McNair H, McQuaid D, Mohajer J, Nilawar R, Pathmanathan A, Smith G, Hanson I, Nill S, Oelfke U
- Issue date: 2020 Jul
- The MOMENTUM Study: An International Registry for the Evidence-Based Introduction of MR-Guided Adaptive Therapy.
- Authors: de Mol van Otterloo SR, Christodouleas JP, Blezer ELA, Akhiat H, Brown K, Choudhury A, Eggert D, Erickson BA, Faivre-Finn C, Fuller CD, Goldwein J, Hafeez S, Hall E, Harrington KJ, van der Heide UA, Huddart RA, Intven MPW, Kirby AM, Lalondrelle S, McCann C, Minsky BD, Mook S, Nowee ME, Oelfke U, Orrling K, Sahgal A, Sarmiento JG, Schultz CJ, Tersteeg RJHA, Tijssen RHN, Tree AC, van Triest B, Hall WA, Verkooijen HM
- Issue date: 2020
- Comparison of Intensity Modulated Radiotherapy Treatment Plans Between 1.5T MR-Linac and Conventional Linac.
- Authors: Ding S, Li Y, Liu H, Li R, Wang B, Zhang J, Chen Y, Huang X
- Issue date: 2021 Jan-Dec
- Dosimetric feasibility of brain stereotactic radiosurgery with a 0.35 T MRI-guided linac and comparison vs a C-arm-mounted linac.
- Authors: Slagowski JM, Redler G, Malin MJ, Cammin J, Lobb EC, Lee BH, Sethi A, Roeske JC, Flores-Martinez E, Stevens T, Yenice KM, Green O, Mutic S, Aydogan B
- Issue date: 2020 Nov