UK Vessel Health and Preservation (VHP) Framework: a commentary on the updated VHP 2021
AffiliationAC Independent Nursing Consultants, Huddersfield,
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractBackground: In 2016, a UK vessel health and preservation (VHP) framework was developed to support healthcare staff to select the most appropriate vascular access device for patients requiring intravenous therapy. The VHP framework was based on available evidence and expert consensus. The VHP was based on available evidence and expert consensus. Development of the vhp 2020 framework: A multidisciplinary team reviewed the original UK VHP framework and considered new published evidence, national and international guidelines and expert opinion. A literature search was performed using Cinahl and Medline, incorporating a variety of terms linked to vascular access devices, assessment and selection. Articles published in and after 2014 in English were included. Twelve articles were found to be relevant including three evidence-based guidelines, two randomised control trials and one systematic review. Findings: Three main studies provided the evidence for the update: the MAGIC study that assessed the appropriateness of peripherally inserted central catheters in patients; a study that utilised the 'A-DIVA scale' to predict the likelihood of difficult venous access; and a study that incorporated an 'I-DECIDED tool' for peripheral intravenous catheter assessment and decision-making for device removal. In addition, published guidelines provided evidence that the original advice on appropriate osmolarity of medicines for peripheral administration needed updating. Conclusion: The 2020 UK VHP framework reflects latest evidence-based research and guidelines, providing healthcare staff updated guidance to assist in maintaining good practice in vascular access assessment and device selection and patient safety.
CitationHallam C, Denton A, Weston V, Dunn H, Jackson T, Keeling S, et al. UK Vessel Health and Preservation (VHP) Framework: a commentary on the updated VHP 2020. Journal of Infection Prevention. 2020 Dec 14;22(4):147–55.
JournalJournal of Infection Prevention
- Development of the UK Vessel Health and Preservation (VHP) framework: a multi-organisational collaborative.
- Authors: Hallam C, Weston V, Denton A, Hill S, Bodenham A, Dunn H, Jackson T
- Issue date: 2016 Mar
- Using the Vessel Health and Preservation framework to enhance vein assessment and vascular access device selection.
- Authors: Shaw SJ
- Issue date: 2017 Jul 12
- Vessel Health and Preservation Framework: Use of the outcome logic model for evaluation.
- Authors: Burnett E, Hallam C, Curran ET, Weston V
- Issue date: 2018 Sep
- The implementation of the Vessel Health and Preservation framework.
- Authors: Weston V, Nightingale A, O'Loughlin C, Ventura R
- Issue date: 2017 Apr 27
- Economic evaluation of peripherally inserted central catheter and other venous access devices: A scoping review.
- Authors: Wang K, Zhong J, Huang N, Zhou Y
- Issue date: 2020 Nov