PTCOG head and neck subcommittee consensus guidelines on particle therapy for the management of head and neck tumors
Chang, J. H. C.
Grover, R. S.
Hoebers, F. J. P.
Patel, S. H.
Thomson, David J
Langendijk, J. A
Frank, S. J.
AffiliationUniversity of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia, PA, USA.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractPurpose: Radiation therapy is a standard modality in the treatment for cancers of the head and neck, but is associated with significant short- and long-term side effects. Proton therapy, with its unique physical characteristics, can deliver less dose to normal tissues, resulting in fewer side effects. Proton therapy is currently being used for the treatment of head and neck cancer, with increasing clinical evidence supporting its use. However, barriers to wider adoption include access, cost, and the need for higher-level evidence. Methods: The clinical evidence for the use of proton therapy in the treatment of head and neck cancer are reviewed here, including indications, advantages, and challenges. Results: The Particle Therapy Cooperative Group Head and Neck Subcommittee task group provides consensus guidelines for the use of proton therapy for head and neck cancer. Conclusion: This report can be used as a guide for clinical use, to understand clinical trials, and to inform future research efforts.
CitationLin A, Chang JHC, Grover RS, Hoebers FJP, Parvathaneni U, Patel SH, et al. PTCOG Head and Neck Subcommittee Consensus Guidelines on Particle Therapy for the Management of Head and Neck Tumors. International Journal of Particle Therapy. 2021 Jun 1;8(1):84–94.
JournalInternational Journal of Particle Therapy
- Consensus Statement on Proton Therapy in Early-Stage and Locally Advanced Non-Small Cell Lung Cancer.
- Authors: Chang JY, Jabbour SK, De Ruysscher D, Schild SE, Simone CB 2nd, Rengan R, Feigenberg S, Khan AJ, Choi NC, Bradley JD, Zhu XR, Lomax AJ, Hoppe BS, International Particle Therapy Co-operative Group (PTCOG) Thoracic Subcommittee.
- Issue date: 2016 May 1
- Consensus Statement on Proton Therapy for Prostate Cancer.
- Authors: Bryant CM, Henderson RH, Nichols RC, Mendenhall WM, Hoppe BS, Vargas CE, Daniels TB, Choo CR, Parikh RR, Giap H, Slater JD, Vapiwala N, Barrett W, Nanda A, Mishra MV, Choi S, Liao JJ, Mendenhall NP, Genitourinary Subcommittee of the Particle Therapy Co-Operative Group.
- Issue date: 2021 Fall
- Clinical Review of Proton Therapy in the Treatment of Unilateral Head and Neck Cancers.
- Authors: Press RH, Bakst RL, Sharma S, Kabarriti R, Garg MK, Yeh B, Gelbum DY, Hasan S, Choi JI, Barker CA, Chhabra AM, Simone CB 2nd, Lee NY
- Issue date: 2021 Summer
- Past, present and future of proton therapy for head and neck cancer.
- Authors: Li X, Lee A, Cohen MA, Sherman EJ, Lee NY
- Issue date: 2020 Nov
- Proton radiation therapy for head and neck cancer.
- Authors: Chan AW, Liebsch NJ
- Issue date: 2008 Jun 15