Adaptive radiotherapy in the management of cervical cancer: review of strategies and clinical implementation
AffiliationDepartment of Clinical Oncology, St. Luke's Cancer Centre, Royal Surrey County Hospital, Guildford, UK
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractThe complex and varied motion of the cervix-uterus target during external beam radiotherapy (EBRT) underscores the clinical benefits afforded by adaptive radiotherapy (ART) techniques. These gains have already been realised in the implementation of image-guided adaptive brachytherapy, where adapting to anatomy at each fraction has seen improvements in clinical outcomes and a reduction in treatment toxicity. With regards to EBRT, multiple adaptive strategies have been implemented, including a personalised internal target volume, offline replanning and a plan of the day approach. With technological advances, there is now the ability for real-time online ART using both magnetic resonance imaging and computed tomography-guided imaging. However, multiple challenges remain in the widespread dissemination of ART. This review investigates the ART strategies and their clinical implementation in EBRT delivery for cervical cancer.
CitationShelley CE, Barraclough LH, Nelder CL, Otter SJ, Stewart AJ. Adaptive Radiotherapy in the Management of Cervical Cancer: Review of Strategies and Clinical Implementation. Clinical Oncology. 2021 Sep;33(9):579–90.
- Evaluation of offline adaptive planning techniques in image-guided brachytherapy of cervical cancer.
- Authors: Liu H, Kinard J, Maurer J, Shang Q, Vanderstraeten C, Hayes L, Sintay B, Wiant D
- Issue date: 2018 Nov
- Dose-volume parameters and local tumor control in cervical cancer treated with central-shielding external-beam radiotherapy and CT-based image-guided brachytherapy.
- Authors: Okazaki S, Murata K, Noda SE, Kumazaki Y, Hirai R, Igari M, Abe T, Komatsu S, Nakano T, Kato S
- Issue date: 2019 Jul 1
- 45 or 50 Gy, Which is the Optimal Radiotherapy Pelvic Dose in Locally Advanced Cervical Cancer in the Perspective of Reaching Magnetic Resonance Image-guided Adaptive Brachytherapy Planning Aims?
- Authors: Mazeron R, Petit C, Rivin E, Limkin E, Dumas I, Maroun P, Annede P, Martinetti F, Seisen T, Lefkopoulos D, Chargari C, Haie-Meder C
- Issue date: 2016 Mar
- Image guided adaptive external beam radiation therapy for cervix cancer: Evaluation of a clinically implemented plan-of-the-day technique.
- Authors: Buschmann M, Majercakova K, Sturdza A, Smet S, Najjari D, Daniel M, Pötter R, Georg D, Seppenwoolde Y
- Issue date: 2018 Aug
- The Potential Value of MRI in External-Beam Radiotherapy for Cervical Cancer.
- Authors: Cree A, Livsey J, Barraclough L, Dubec M, Hambrock T, Van Herk M, Choudhury A, McWilliam A
- Issue date: 2018 Nov