Focused VHEE (very high energy electron) beams and dose delivery for radiotherapy applications
AffiliationDepartment of Physics and Astronomy, University of Manchester, Manchester, UK.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractThis paper presents the first demonstration of deeply penetrating dose delivery using focused very high energy electron (VHEE) beams using quadrupole magnets in Monte Carlo simulations. We show that the focal point is readily modified by linearly changing the quadrupole magnet strength only. We also present a weighted sum of focused electron beams to form a spread-out electron peak (SOEP) over a target region. This has a significantly reduced entrance dose compared to a proton-based spread-out Bragg peak (SOBP). Very high energy electron (VHEE) beams are an exciting prospect in external beam radiotherapy. VHEEs are less sensitive to inhomogeneities than proton and photon beams, have a deep dose reach and could potentially be used to deliver FLASH radiotherapy. The dose distributions of unfocused VHEE produce high entrance and exit doses compared to other radiotherapy modalities unless focusing is employed, and in this case the entrance dose is considerably improved over existing radiations. We have investigated both symmetric and asymmetric focusing as well as focusing with a range of beam energies.
CitationWhitmore L, Mackay RI, van Herk M, Jones JK, Jones RM. Focused VHEE (very high energy electron) beams and dose delivery for radiotherapy applications. Sci Rep. 2021 Jul 7;11(1).
- Treatment planning for radiotherapy with very high-energy electron beams and comparison of VHEE and VMAT plans.
- Authors: Bazalova-Carter M, Qu B, Palma B, Hårdemark B, Hynning E, Jensen C, Maxim PG, Loo BW Jr
- Issue date: 2015 May
- Monte Carlo evaluation of magnetically focused proton beams for radiosurgery.
- Authors: McAuley GA, Heczko SL, Nguyen TT, Slater JM, Slater JD, Wroe AJ
- Issue date: 2018 Mar 2
- Focused very high-energy electron beams as a novel radiotherapy modality for producing high-dose volumetric elements.
- Authors: Kokurewicz K, Brunetti E, Welsh GH, Wiggins SM, Boyd M, Sorensen A, Chalmers AJ, Schettino G, Subiel A, DesRosiers C, Jaroszynski DA
- Issue date: 2019 Jul 25
- SU-E-T-472: Characterization of the Very High Energy Electrons, ISO - 250 MeV (VHEE) Beam Generated by ALPHA-X Laser Wakefield Accelerator Beam Line for Utilization in Monte Carlo Simulation for Biomedical Experiment Planning.
- Authors: Moskvin V, Subiel A, Desrosiers C, Wiggins M, Maryanski M, Mendonca M, Boyd M, Sorensen A, Cipiccia S, Issac R, Welsh G, Brunetti E, Aniculaesei C, Jaroszynski DA
- Issue date: 2012 Jun
- Very high-energy electron (VHEE) beams in radiation therapy; Treatment plan comparison between VHEE, VMAT, and PPBS.
- Authors: Schüler E, Eriksson K, Hynning E, Hancock SL, Hiniker SM, Bazalova-Carter M, Wong T, Le QT, Loo BW Jr, Maxim PG
- Issue date: 2017 Jun