Reciprocal priming between receptor tyrosine kinases at recycling endosomes orchestrates cellular signalling outputs
AuthorsSmith, M. P.
Ferguson, H. R.
Kowalczyk, K. M.
Clarke, Robert B
AffiliationDivision of Molecular and Cellular Function, School of Biological Science, Faculty of Biology Medicine and Health (FBMH), The University of Manchester, Manchester, UK.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractIntegration of signalling downstream of individual receptor tyrosine kinases (RTKs) is crucial to fine-tune cellular homeostasis during development and in pathological conditions, including breast cancer. However, how signalling integration is regulated and whether the endocytic fate of single receptors controls such signalling integration remains poorly elucidated. Combining quantitative phosphoproteomics and targeted assays, we generated a detailed picture of recycling-dependent fibroblast growth factor (FGF) signalling in breast cancer cells, with a focus on distinct FGF receptors (FGFRs). We discovered reciprocal priming between FGFRs and epidermal growth factor (EGF) receptor (EGFR) that is coordinated at recycling endosomes. FGFR recycling ligands induce EGFR phosphorylation on threonine 693. This phosphorylation event alters both FGFR and EGFR trafficking and primes FGFR-mediated proliferation but not cell invasion. In turn, FGFR signalling primes EGF-mediated outputs via EGFR threonine 693 phosphorylation. This reciprocal priming between distinct families of RTKs from recycling endosomes exemplifies a novel signalling integration hub where recycling endosomes orchestrate cellular behaviour. Therefore, targeting reciprocal priming over individual receptors may improve personalized therapies in breast and other cancers.
CitationSmith MP, Ferguson HR, Ferguson J, Zindy E, Kowalczyk KM, Kedward T, et al. Reciprocal priming between receptor tyrosine kinases at recycling endosomes orchestrates cellular signalling outputs. EMBO J . 2021 Jun 4;40(14).
- Regulation of fibroblast growth factor receptor signalling and trafficking by Src and Eps8.
- Authors: Auciello G, Cunningham DL, Tatar T, Heath JK, Rappoport JZ
- Issue date: 2013 Jan 15
- Evidence for efficient phosphorylation of EGFR and rapid endocytosis of phosphorylated EGFR via the early/late endocytic pathway in a gefitinib-sensitive non-small cell lung cancer cell line.
- Authors: Nishimura Y, Yoshioka K, Bereczky B, Itoh K
- Issue date: 2008 May 21
- hSef potentiates EGF-mediated MAPK signaling through affecting EGFR trafficking and degradation.
- Authors: Ren Y, Cheng L, Rong Z, Li Z, Li Y, Zhang X, Xiong S, Hu J, Fu XY, Chang Z
- Issue date: 2008 Mar
- Spatially resolved phosphoproteomics reveals fibroblast growth factor receptor recycling-driven regulation of autophagy and survival.
- Authors: Watson J, Ferguson HR, Brady RM, Ferguson J, Fullwood P, Mo H, Bexley KH, Knight D, Howell G, Schwartz JM, Smith MP, Francavilla C
- Issue date: 2022 Nov 3
- Acute ligand-independent Src activation mimics low EGF-induced EGFR surface signalling and redistribution into recycling endosomes.
- Authors: Medts T, de Diesbach P, Cominelli A, N'Kuli F, Tyteca D, Courtoy PJ
- Issue date: 2010 Nov 15