PIKE-R2P: Protein-protein interaction network-based knowledge embedding with graph neural network for single-cell RNA to protein prediction
AffiliationSchool of Information Science and Technology, ShanghaiTech University, 393 Middle Huaxia Road, Pudong District, Shanghai, 201210, China.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractBackground: Recent advances in simultaneous measurement of RNA and protein abundances at single-cell level provide a unique opportunity to predict protein abundance from scRNA-seq data using machine learning models. However, existing machine learning methods have not considered relationship among the proteins sufficiently. Results: We formulate this task in a multi-label prediction framework where multiple proteins are linked to each other at the single-cell level. Then, we propose a novel method for single-cell RNA to protein prediction named PIKE-R2P, which incorporates protein-protein interactions (PPI) and prior knowledge embedding into a graph neural network. Compared with existing methods, PIKE-R2P could significantly improve prediction performance in terms of smaller errors and higher correlations with the gold standard measurements. Conclusion: The superior performance of PIKE-R2P indicates that adding the prior knowledge of PPI to graph neural networks can be a powerful strategy for cross-modality prediction of protein abundances at the single-cell level.
CitationDai X, Xu F, Wang S, Mundra PA, Zheng J. PIKE-R2P: Protein–protein interaction network-based knowledge embedding with graph neural network for single-cell RNA to protein prediction. BMC Bioinformatics . 2021 Jun;22(S6).
- Completing sparse and disconnected protein-protein network by deep learning.
- Authors: Huang L, Liao L, Wu CH
- Issue date: 2018 Mar 22
- ScGSLC: An unsupervised graph similarity learning framework for single-cell RNA-seq data clustering.
- Authors: Li J, Jiang W, Han H, Liu J, Liu B, Wang Y
- Issue date: 2021 Feb
- Graph embedding-based novel protein interaction prediction via higher-order graph convolutional network.
- Authors: Xiao Z, Deng Y
- Issue date: 2020
- A novel link prediction algorithm for protein-protein interaction networks by attributed graph embedding.
- Authors: Nasiri E, Berahmand K, Rostami M, Dabiri M
- Issue date: 2021 Oct
- EPGAT: Gene Essentiality Prediction With Graph Attention Networks.
- Authors: Schapke J, Tavares A, Recamonde-Mendoza M
- Issue date: 2022 May-Jun