AffiliationDepartment of Liver and Gastrointestinal Diseases, Biodonostia Health Research Institute, Donostia University Hospital, University of the Basque Country (UPV/EHU), 20014 San Sebastian,
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractThe increasing mortality rates of cholangiocarcinoma (CCA) registered during the last decades are, at least in part, a result of the lack of accurate non-invasive biomarkers for early disease diagnosis, making the identification of patients who might benefit from potentially curative approaches (i.e., surgery) extremely challenging. The obscure CCA pathogenesis and associated etiological factors, as well as the lack of symptoms in patients with early tumor stages, highly compromises CCA identification and to predict tumor development in at-risk populations. Currently, CCA diagnosis is accomplished by the combination of clinical/biochemical features, radiological imaging and non-specific serum tumor biomarkers, although a tumor biopsy is still needed to confirm disease diagnosis. Furthermore, prognostic and predictive biomarkers are still lacking and urgently needed. During the recent years, high-throughput omics-based approaches have identified novel circulating biomarkers (diagnostic and prognostic) that might be included in large, international validation studies in the near future. In this review, we summarize and discuss the most recent advances in the field of biomarker discovery in CCA, providing new insights and future research directions.
CitationRodrigues PM, Vogel A, Arrese M, Balderramo DC, Valle JW, Banales JM. Next-Generation Biomarkers for Cholangiocarcinoma. Cancers . 2021 Jun 28;13(13):3222.
- Diagnostic and prognostic biomarkers in cholangiocarcinoma.
- Authors: Macias RIR, Kornek M, Rodrigues PM, Paiva NA, Castro RE, Urban S, Pereira SP, Cadamuro M, Rupp C, Loosen SH, Luedde T, Banales JM
- Issue date: 2019 May
- Current omics-based biomarkers for cholangiocarcinoma.
- Authors: Intuyod K, Armartmuntree N, Jusakul A, Sakonsinsiri C, Thanan R, Pinlaor S
- Issue date: 2019 Nov
- The search for novel diagnostic and prognostic biomarkers in cholangiocarcinoma.
- Authors: Macias RIR, Banales JM, Sangro B, Muntané J, Avila MA, Lozano E, Perugorria MJ, Padillo FJ, Bujanda L, Marin JJG
- Issue date: 2018 Apr
- An Omics Perspective on Molecular Biomarkers for Diagnosis, Prognosis, and Therapeutics of Cholangiocarcinoma.
- Authors: Seeree P, Pearngam P, Kumkate S, Janvilisri T
- Issue date: 2015
- Elevated levels of circulating osteopontin are associated with a poor survival after resection of cholangiocarcinoma.
- Authors: Loosen SH, Roderburg C, Kauertz KL, Pombeiro I, Leyh C, Benz F, Vucur M, Longerich T, Koch A, Braunschweig T, Ulmer TF, Heidenhain C, Tacke F, Binnebösel M, Schmeding M, Trautwein C, Neumann UP, Luedde T
- Issue date: 2017 Oct