Chronic myeloid leukemia presenting as compartment syndrome with acute loss of upper limb function
AffiliationDepartment of Surgery, The Christie NHS Foundation Trust, Manchester, United Kingdom.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractHematological malignancies rarely present with spontaneous haematomas (Lakhotia et al., 2015 ). Although cutaneous and mucous membrane bleeds do occur in chronic myeloid leukemia (CML) due to quantitative or qualitative platelet abnormalities, deep soft tissue bleeds are rare (Lakhotia et al., 2015 ). We report the case of a 49 year old man presenting with an acute hematoma of the left biceps brachii causing compartment syndrome of his left upper limb leading to flaccid paralysis. He underwent surgical evacuation of the hematoma and investigations revealed that he had CML with leukemic infiltration in the biceps brachii.
CitationD’Souza N, Somervaille TCP, Mowatt DJ. Chronic myeloid leukemia presenting as compartment syndrome with acute loss of upper limb function. The American Journal of Emergency Medicine . 2021 Nov;49:273–5.
JournalAmerican Journal of Emergency Medicine
- Spontaneous Soft Tissue Haematomas- A Rare Presentation of Chronic Myeloid Leukemic (CML).
- Authors: Lakhotia M, Pahadiya HR, Prajapati GR, Choudhary A, Gandhi R
- Issue date: 2015 Jul
- Distal biceps brachii tendon rupture resulting in acute compartment syndrome.
- Authors: Grandizio LC, Suk M, Feltham GT
- Issue date: 2013 Nov
- Acute pediatric leg compartment syndrome in chronic myeloid leukemia.
- Authors: Cohen E, Truntzer J, Klinge S, Schwartz K, Schiller J
- Issue date: 2014 Nov
- Multiple compartment syndrome in a pediatric patient with CML.
- Authors: Lee DK, Jeong WK, Lee DH, Lee SH
- Issue date: 2011 Dec
- Spontaneous acute subdural hematoma as the initial manifestation of chronic myeloid leukemia.
- Authors: Abdulhamid MM, Li YM, Hall WA
- Issue date: 2011 Feb