Influence of the microenvironment on modulation of the host response by typhoid toxin
AuthorsMartin, O. C. B.
Chiloeches, M. L.
Theodorou, S. D. P.
Haykal, M. M.
Gorgoulis, Vassilis G
Pateras, I. S
AffiliationDepartment of Cell and Molecular Biology, Karolinska Institutet, Stockholm, Sweden
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractBacterial genotoxins cause DNA damage in eukaryotic cells, resulting in activation of the DNA damage response (DDR) in vitro. These toxins are produced by Gram-negative bacteria, enriched in the microbiota of inflammatory bowel disease (IBD) and colorectal cancer (CRC) patients. However, their role in infection remains poorly characterized. We address the role of typhoid toxin in modulation of the host-microbial interaction in health and disease. Infection with a genotoxigenic Salmonella protects mice from intestinal inflammation. We show that the presence of an active genotoxin promotes DNA fragmentation and senescence in vivo, which is uncoupled from an inflammatory response and unexpectedly associated with induction of an anti-inflammatory environment. The anti-inflammatory response is lost when infection occurs in mice with acute colitis. These data highlight a complex context-dependent crosstalk between bacterial-genotoxin-induced DDR and the host immune response, underlining an unexpected role for bacterial genotoxins.
CitationMartin OCB, Bergonzini A, Lopez Chiloeches M, Paparouna E, Butter D, Theodorou SDP, et al. Influence of the microenvironment on modulation of the host response by typhoid toxin. Cell Reports. 2021 Apr;35(1):108931.
- Bacterial genotoxin functions as immune-modulator and promotes host survival.
- Authors: Guidi R, Belluz LD, Frisan T
- Issue date: 2016 Jul 28
- The Typhoid Toxin Promotes Host Survival and the Establishment of a Persistent Asymptomatic Infection.
- Authors: Del Bel Belluz L, Guidi R, Pateras IS, Levi L, Mihaljevic B, Rouf SF, Wrande M, Candela M, Turroni S, Nastasi C, Consolandi C, Peano C, Tebaldi T, Viero G, Gorgoulis VG, Krejsgaard T, Rhen M, Frisan T
- Issue date: 2016 Apr
- Bacterial Genotoxin-Induced DNA Damage and Modulation of the Host Immune Microenvironment.
- Authors: Martin OCB, Frisan T
- Issue date: 2020 Jan 21
- Bacterial genotoxins induce T cell senescence.
- Authors: Mathiasen SL, Gall-Mas L, Pateras IS, Theodorou SDP, Namini MRJ, Hansen MB, Martin OCB, Vadivel CK, Ntostoglou K, Butter D, Givskov M, Geisler C, Akbar AN, Gorgoulis VG, Frisan T, Ødum N, Krejsgaard T
- Issue date: 2021 Jun 8
- Bacterial Genotoxins: Merging the DNA Damage Response into Infection Biology.
- Authors: Grasso F, Frisan T
- Issue date: 2015 Aug 11